[rec.music.gaffa] Kate's school & Katemas

sre017@cck.cov.ac.UK (***SEMPSY***) (06/24/91)

Sorry to be picky but Kate didn't attend a grammar school,she attended a private
convent school.Hence her parents paid for her education,usually a grammar school
operates on an entrance exam, if you pass this you don't pay.Also Mock exams
are taken in December/January before the final exams in June.I suspect that
Kate took her Lower Sixth exams before she left in July 1975, not her mocks
because she wouldn't have covered enough of the syllabus to justify them being
mocks of the final exams.
Regarding Katemas in the U.K.:-
Are there anybody who can host one in the UK, the numbers are likely to be small
anyway,as most of the love-hounds are students over here and are off the
computers over the summer.Unfortunately I can't host one personally as I said
several weeks ago, but I'm prepared to give help.
                  Andy Semple    sre017@uk.ac.cov.cck
P.S Apparently the Elton John Tribute album has been talked about again in the
music mags in the UK.It is intended for possible release later this year,and
something was mentioned about a TV programme as well.

gwc@root.co.UK (Geoff Clare) (06/27/91)

sre017@cck.cov.ac.UK (Andy Semple) writes:

>Sorry to be picky but Kate didn't attend a grammar school,she attended
>a private convent school. Hence her parents paid for her education,

Do you have any supporting evidence for this?  I'm quite willing to
believe that St. Joseph's Senior School, Bexley was a convent school, but
where do you get your information that it was private rather than state
funded?  The only convent school I am familiar with (St. Bernard's in
Southend-on-Sea) was a grammar school at the time when Kate was at school.

>usually a grammar school
>operates on an entrance exam, if you pass this you don't pay.

This is nonsense.  The only requirement for attending grammar school was
that you pass the standard 11+ exam which everyone took at age 11, and
I've never heard of a grammar school that accepted paying students.  In
fact it would probably have been illegal for them to do so.

--
Geoff Clare <gwc@root.co.uk>  (Dumb American mailers: ...!uunet!root.co.uk!gwc)
UniSoft Limited, London, England.   Tel: +44 71 729 3773   Fax: +44 71 729 3273

csd@planet.bt.co.uk (Colin Davidson) (06/29/91)

>From article <13458.9106241043@cck.cov.ac.uk>, by sre017@cck.cov.ac.UK (***SEMPSY***):
> Regarding Katemas in the U.K.:-
> Are there anybody who can host one in the UK, the numbers are likely to be small

	Well, I'm having a party on July 27th, but it will be a general party,
rather than a Katemas party. Any UK love-hounds are welcome to attend / stay
the night. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Colin

--
Ten years ago I walked these streets my dreams were riding tall.
Tonight I would be thankful lord for any dream at all.