[comp.unix.cray] Motor Generators and stuff

chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) (07/30/89)

I am looking for info on support systems for a Cray YMP.
Specifically, I need to know what motor generators,
what power supplies, what air conditioning, what UPS,
and whatever else may be pertinent that are recommended
from experiences with Cray systems. Our site is setting up
for a Cray and needs to get all this background info before
we can set up shop.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

ChrisB@Hubcap.Clemson.Edu

mjt@super.ORG (Michael J. Tighe) (08/01/89)

In article <6108@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) writes:

> I am looking for info on support systems for a Cray YMP. Specifically,
> I need to know what motor generators, what power supplies, what air
> conditioning, what UPS, and whatever else may be pertinent that are
> recommended from experiences with Cray systems. Our site is setting up
> for a Cray and needs to get all this background info before we can set
> up shop.

The support equipment you need depends on what equipment you are
purchasing. You say a Y-MP, but there is a lot more to it than that.
How many CPU's? How much memory? How many IOS's do you plan to get?
Are you getting an SSD? What size? How many disk drives do you plan to
purchase? etc.

After you have decided on the equipment you plan to buy, you will have
a better idea of how much electricity and cooling you will need. CRI
has several site planning manuals to help in this phase. The two that
you need are:

HR-0082 - Cray Support Equipment Site Planning Reference Manual.
HR-4000 - Cray Y-MP/8 Computer Systems Site Planning Reference Manual.

Your CRI salesperson would be able to get these manuals for you.

Michael Tighe
internet: mjt@super.org
   uunet: ...!uunet!super!mjt
--