[comp.unix.cray] C++ on cray UNICOS??

keith@uw-apl.UUCP (Keith Kerr) (07/27/89)

Is there an implementation of C++ running on cray./UNICOS
systems??  If not, could anyone venture a guess as to
how tough a port would be.  I've heard that UNICOS was
derived from some unix version, but I don't know anything
more about it.

mjt@super.ORG (Michael J. Tighe) (08/01/89)

In article <241@uw-apl.UUCP> keith@uw-apl.UUCP (Keith Kerr) writes:

> Is there an implementation of C++ running on cray./UNICOS systems?? If
> not, could anyone venture a guess as to how tough a port would be.
> I've heard that UNICOS was derived from some unix version, but I don't
> know anything more about it.

I do not know of any C++ implementations for UNICOS. I doubt CRI will
be coming out with one anytime soon. The difficulty factor depends on
how you plan to go about it. If you plan to write it from the ground
up, I would say it would be very difficult (unless of course, you have
done this sort of thing before). If you plan to write it as a
preprocessor, that would be somewhat easier.

UNICOS was originally a port of a version of Unix that ran on a Vax.
-------------
Michael Tighe
internet: mjt@super.org
   uunet: ...!uunet!super!mjt
--
-------------
Michael Tighe

rosenkra@hall.cray.com (Bill Rosenkranz) (08/01/89)

In article <241@uw-apl.UUCP> keith@uw-apl.UUCP (Keith Kerr) writes:
=Is there an implementation of C++ running on cray./UNICOS
=systems??  If not, could anyone venture a guess as to
=how tough a port would be.  I've heard that UNICOS was
=derived from some unix version, but I don't know anything
=more about it.

UNICOS is based on UNIX System V.3 so in theory, cfront should be possible.

i am not an expert on c++, but as i understand it, the research version
(1.2.1?) is a preprocessor which generates c code. cray has an ANSI-
compliant C as well as a vectorizing C which so far i have been able
to port numerous codes with (i have just started a port of GNU emacs
18.54 for a cray-2 under UNICOS 5.0, for example). so c++ is text in,
text out and it should not be a problem. the question is whether the
c code generated can readily be compiled. i suspect it can.

i have no knowledge of cray's plans for c++ but i suspect somebody
is playing around with it :^).

-bill
rosenkra@boston.cray.com
[i speak for me, not cray, so don't quote me...]

malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) (08/01/89)

In article <12296@super.ORG> mjt@super.UUCP (Michael J. Tighe) writes:
>I do not know of any C++ implementations for UNICOS. I doubt CRI will
>be coming out with one anytime soon. The difficulty factor depends on
>how you plan to go about it.
I don't agree.  I've attended the last couple of Cray C Advisory Board
meetings and the C group wants to know how much interest there is in
C++.  If enough people want it then it will become a product.

C++ is just a preprocessor.  In fact it probably runs best on a Unix
System V machine just like Unicos.  Call up your local AT&T salescritter
and ask them for a source tape.  (Didn't AT&T just announce a the new
release with multiple inheritance?  I wouldn't be surprised if this already
compiles and runs on the Cray.)

So here's the offer.  If you want C++ on the Cray send me a note and I'll
forward them all to the head of the C compiler group at Cray.  (I don't
like publishing other people's addresses.)

Cray, its just another generic Unix box.....but boy do I love those Flops.

							Malcolm

mjt@super.ORG (Michael J. Tighe) (08/02/89)

In article <33634@apple.Apple.COM> malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) writes:
>> In article <12296@super.ORG> mjt@super.UUCP (Michael J. Tighe) writes:
>> I do not know of any C++ implementations for UNICOS. I doubt CRI will
>> be coming out with one anytime soon.

> I don't agree.  I've attended the last couple of Cray C Advisory Board
> meetings and the C group wants to know how much interest there is in
> C++.  If enough people want it then it will become a product.

Well Malcolm, you can disagree, but I don't know of any C++
implementations for UNICOS. Really. Trust me.

I take it as a complement that you forgot I was sitting next to you at
the last Cray C Advisory Board meeting in May. I distinctly recall
(and have it in my notes) that Cray asked for feedback on C++. We all
agreed that "since there are many problems associated with C++, the
best move would be to wait." Given this, I think it is fair to say it
won't be coming out anytime soon.

Mike
--
-------------
Michael Tighe

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (08/10/89)

  The Livermore Computer Center (LCC) at Lawrence Livermore National
Lab has been working on a port of CFRONT 1.2 to run under either LTSS
or NLTSS (not sure which). It is to be used as a front end for their
Hybrid C Compiler (HCC), which is an ANSI conforming C compiler (or
about as close as you can come). I know that LTSS is moving towards
"UNIX compliance" by providing UNIX compatible libraries and system
calls, so moving their port to UNICOS might not be too difficult.

  Jim

fouts@garth.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) (08/17/89)

In article <3930@hall.cray.com> rosenkra@hall.cray.com (Bill Rosenkranz) writes:

[...]

Cfront should be easy to port, barring an potential number of word
size and alignment problems.  The problem isn't the preprocessor, it
is the library support.  This would be much more interesting.  If
you've got experience providing run time libraries and you understand
UniCos, the calling sequence, and CAL, it should be a straightforward
but time consuming effort.

The other alternative is G++, which requires Gnu C.  I started a Gnu C
port to the Cray 2, and it looks like a lot of work because of the way
in which Crays differ from the model provided by the Gnu compiler, so
I would recommend the first approach.

Marty

--
Martin Fouts

 UUCP:  ...!pyramid!garth!fouts  ARPA:  garth!fouts@ingr.com
PHONE:  (415) 852-2310            FAX:  (415) 856-9224
 MAIL:  2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA, 94303

I'll say something clever, as soon as I get some caffeine in my blood stream