[comp.unix.cray] Backup/Restore utilities for UNICOS

gerben@vax1.sara.nl (10/19/90)

In the next few month we have to set up a Cray service under UNICOS 5.1.
We are looking   for a backup/restore utility other then the standard
dump/restore of UNICOS; the UNICOS dump requires an unmount of the file-
systems to be dumped which implies an interruption of the production.
We like to have information of other sites who have experience with
other dump/restore software packages dumping on a file-per-file basis.

We are especially looking for sites which are using Enhanced Software
Technologie's BRU package.

Thanks for all the help in advance,

Gerben Jansen	   internet : gerben@sara.nl
Jan Overweel       internet : jan@sara.nl

jstout@ferris.cray.com (Jeff Stout) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct19.161653.2581@vax1.sara.nl> gerben@vax1.sara.nl writes:
>dump/restore of UNICOS; the UNICOS dump requires an unmount of the file-

     Are you sure about this?

--
  ========         "For a man who, in all respects, will carry out only his
 //   //  \\___     professions of good, will be apt to be ruined amongst
( o )-------( o )                                    Machiavelli

yonkers@ncsc.org (Frank Terhaar-Yonkers) (10/23/90)

>In article <231408.11866@timbuk.cray.com>, jstout@ferris.cray.com (Jeff Stout) writes:
>>In article <1990Oct19.161653.2581@vax1.sara.nl> gerben@vax1.sara.nl writes:
>>dump/restore of UNICOS; the UNICOS dump requires an unmount of the file-
>
>    Are you sure about this?

It doesn't require an unmount.  We backup this way every night.

HOWEVER WHAT YOU ARE DUMPING IS AN UNSYNC'D FILE SYSTEM.

It uses the raw device, the system buffers are not flushed!

We take dedicated time periodically to take a sync'd full dump and use the nightly as a last resort.
Critical file systems such as /usr and root are copied every night using cpio.

 - Frank

gerben@vax1.sara.nl (10/23/90)

Stout) writes:
> In article <1990Oct19.161653.2581@vax1.sara.nl> gerben@vax1.sara.nl writes:
>>dump/restore of UNICOS; the UNICOS dump requires an unmount of the file-
>
>      Are you sure about this?

Well, it doesn't require an unmount of the filesystem, but there must
not be "a lot of activity" otherwise the dump will be more or less
incorrect.

The only way I can think of to ensure there is no activity at all is an
unmount of the filesystem. (or stop all processes, disable interactive,
batch, network access etc. which is effectively the same thing)

This "non active" requirement is not very acceptable for us, we want the
machine to compute, not to write backup tapes. That is why I asked for
information about sites doing online dumping

P.S.
If anyone is interested in a reply summary, drop me a note and I'll send
you the replies. (I'll wait another week for more replies to come)

Gerben Jansen,
SARA, Academic Computing Services,
Amsterdam,
The Netherlands.