[comp.unix.cray] The naming scheme of Cray X-MP

sushil@omena.cps.msu.edu (Sushil Bhattacharjee) (02/28/91)

Hi,
This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but I could not find
any other appropriate newsgroup.
My question is - What do the numbers at the end of 'Cray X-MP' mean in
the name of the machine?
e.g.  What does the 12 mean in 'Cray X-MP/12' or the 48 in 'Cray X-MP/48' ?

I do not usually read this newsgroup, so I will appriciate it if you
send e-mail to sushil@pixel.cps.msu.edu, in case you know the answer.
Thanks,
Sushil

fouts@infonode.ingr.com (Martin Fouts) (02/28/91)

>Please send this info to me as well. Thanks.
>I assume the numbers have something to do with the numbers of banks and/or
>cpus.
>
>Mike McAllister
>mrmca@tramp.colorado.edu

Dennis>   Close. The first number is the number of CPUs (1 to 4). The
Dennis> second number is the amount of memory in megaWORDS (1 word = 8 bytes).

The following ambiguity may someday occur:

Y/MP 164  ==  16 processor Y/MP with 4 MW of memory
Y/MP 164  ==  1 processor Y/MP with 64 MW of memory

(The first configuration is unreasonable, but technically feasible
(sort of))

mrmca@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MCALLISTER MICHAEL R) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.190807.26406@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> sushil@omena.cps.msu.edu (Sushil Bhattacharjee) writes:
>Hi,
>This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but I could not find
>any other appropriate newsgroup.
>My question is - What do the numbers at the end of 'Cray X-MP' mean in
>the name of the machine?
>e.g.  What does the 12 mean in 'Cray X-MP/12' or the 48 in 'Cray X-MP/48' ?
>
>I do not usually read this newsgroup, so I will appriciate it if you
>send e-mail to sushil@pixel.cps.msu.edu, in case you know the answer.

Please send this info to me as well. Thanks.
I assume the numbers have something to do with the numbers of banks and/or
cpus.

>Thanks,
>Sushil

Mike McAllister
mrmca@tramp.colorado.edu

dre@sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) (02/28/91)

>Please send this info to me as well. Thanks.
>I assume the numbers have something to do with the numbers of banks and/or
>cpus.
>
>Mike McAllister
>mrmca@tramp.colorado.edu

  Close. The first number is the number of CPUs (1 to 4). The second number
is the amount of memory in megaWORDS (1 word = 8 bytes).

* Dennis Ellis (dre@sequoia.cray.com) *                                       *
* Cray Research, Inc.                 *                                       *
* Eagan, MN 55378                     * All the normal stuff about opinions.. *

alv@ferris.cray.com (Albert Viall) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.221033.27018@csn.org>, mrmca@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MCALLISTER MICHAEL R) writes:
> In article <1991Feb27.190807.26406@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> sushil@omena.cps.msu.edu (Sushil Bhattacharjee) writes:
> >Hi,
> >This may be the wrong place to ask this question, but I could not find
> >any other appropriate newsgroup.
> >My question is - What do the numbers at the end of 'Cray X-MP' mean in
> >the name of the machine?
> >e.g.  What does the 12 mean in 'Cray X-MP/12' or the 48 in 'Cray X-MP/48' ?
> >
> >I do not usually read this newsgroup, so I will appriciate it if you
> >send e-mail to sushil@pixel.cps.msu.edu, in case you know the answer.
>
> Please send this info to me as well. Thanks.
> I assume the numbers have something to do with the numbers of banks and/or
> cpus.

In some cases, you may see conventions such as 'X-MP4/28' or 'Y-MP8/4128'.
In these examples, the '4' in 'X-MP4/28' means the total number of cpu's that
the system can hold, and the '28' means that the system has '2' cpu's installed
along with '8' mega-words of on-board memory.
The same is true for the Y-MP.
--Al

--
Al Viall                            INTERNET: alv@pancake.cray.com
Corporate Computing and Networks        FIDO: 232/2,3