[net.lan] OSI international standard layers

dfh@ecsvax.UUCP (David Hinnant) (05/08/85)

I've heard a lot lately about the OSI international standards, and even
some rumors that the DOD may drop TCP/IP in favor of the OSI protocols,
when layer 4 (network) is approved as an international standard.

Given that only two layers (that I know of) have been approved (session
and transport), I wonder how many companies have implemented, or plan to
implement, the OSI international standards for higher levels?  It's
probably a given that CSMA/CD and Token Bus will be approved, so that
adds more clout to the OSI standards.

If you, yes you, had the choice today, would you implement TCP/IP, or
go with the ISO OSI standards for layers 3 and 4?

I'll summarize and post all responses I receive.

					David Hinnant
					SCI Systems
					(919) 549-8334
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!dfh

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/10/85)

> I've heard a lot lately about the OSI international standards, and even
> some rumors that the DOD may drop TCP/IP in favor of the OSI protocols,
> when layer 4 (network) is approved as an international standard.

Rumors yes, truth no.

This is a reproduction of a memo written by Donald Latham of the
office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense on the subject of
DoD's evaluation of the TP-4 protocols.

                    ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
                       Washington, D.C. 20301-3040

MEMORANDUM FOR DIRECTOR, DEFENSE COMMUNICATIONS AGENCY

SUBJECT:  National Research Council Report on Transport Protocols
          for DoD Data Networks

     [RFC 942 is] ... the final report on "Transport Protocols for
Department of Defense Data Networks" from the National Research Council
(Board on Telecommunications and Computer Applications, Commission on
Engineering and Technical Systems).  The report recommends that DoD
immediately adopt the International Standards Organization Transport
Protocol (TP-4) and Internetwork Protocol (IP) as a DoD co-standard to
the current DoD standard Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and IP and
move ultimately toward exclusive use of TP-4.

     Whenever international standards are available and can be used to
support military requirements, they will be implemented as rapidly as
possible to obtain maximum economic and interoperability benefits.
However, TP as a proven commercial offering is not available at this
time.  The progress of TP will be monitored carefully and once
commercially available, TP will be tested and evaluated for use in
military applications.

     In order to insure that DoD is in a posture to evaluate TP once it
is in wider use in the commercial sector, request you initiate the
following actions:

     (1)  develop the DoD military requirement specification for TP to
          insure that industry is aware of DoD needs as TP is
          commercially implemented.

     (2)  insure that appropriate advisory representation is provided to
          commercial standards working groups that are currently refining
          TP under the auspices of the National Bureau of Standards.

     (3)  insure that the DCA protocol test facility can accommodate TP
          testing as required when commercial implementations are available.

     (4)  develop a transition strategy for Option 2 of the report to
          include estimated resource requirements.

     (5)  evaluate the detailed recommendations presented in the Report
          (pages 61-64) as they apply to Option 2.

                                           Donald C. Latham

cc:  NBS, Mr. Bob Blanc

jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) (05/12/85)

> I've heard a lot lately about the OSI international standards, and even
> some rumors that the DOD may drop TCP/IP in favor of the OSI protocols,
> when layer 4 (network) is approved as an international standard.

Where can I get a hold of documentation for the OSI standard and proposals?

Thanks,

Jon Shapiro
..!sjuvax!jss

hagens@uwvax.UUCP (Rob Hagens) (05/13/85)

> Where can I get a hold of documentation for the OSI standard and proposals?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon Shapiro
> ..!sjuvax!jss

For most of the osi stuff:
	Frances E. Schrotter
	ANSI
	ISO TC97/SC6 Secretariat
	1430 Broadway
	New York, N.Y.  10018 USA

and for the CCITT stuff (ie. MHS (mail))

	International Telecommunications Union
	Place des Nations
	CH 1211
	Geneve 20, Switzerland
--
Rob Hagens @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!hagens

rjh@calmasd.UUCP (Bob Hofkin) (05/14/85)

In article <1145@sjuvax.UUCP> jss@sjuvax.UUCP (J. Shapiro) writes:
>Where can I get a hold of documentation for the OSI standard and proposals?

ANSI (American National Standards Institute) sells copies of the
various documents.  They have a list called "Current ISO/TC 97 working
papers and draft standards."  The current list shows around 60
documents available, with another 20 or 30 due June 1.  The average
price is about $15 each, and there's a 7% shipping charge.

ANSI is at 1430 Broadway, New York 10018.  They have very capable
people answering the phone, which is 212/354-3300.