[comp.unix.cray] How much is a cray ??

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (06/03/91)

Not that I'm going to buy one, but how much does the Cray cost ??

What are the system configurations and hardware specs ?

matt.
Matt Crowd        cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au         | Thinking of a
                                                  | Master Plan.....
Resident Computer Science FTP Mutant              | Eric.B

dre@sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.034841.25633@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:

>Not that I'm going to buy one, but how much does the Cray cost ??

  Why not? We could sign you up for one right now, if you want.

>What are the system configurations and hardware specs ?

  The system configurations are (roughly):

    XMS      about $300,000
    YMP-EL   about $400,000 to $1,000,000
    YMP2E    about $2,000,000 to 5,000,000
    YMP4E    about $4,000,000 to 10,000,000
    YMP8I    about $15,000,000
    YMP8E    about $20,000,000

  These are ranges (obviously) and approximate prices (depending on the
details of the configurations and add-ons)

  For more details or more accurate pricing, see your local Cray salesperson.
But this should give you some idea of where the various models fall in the
pricing scheme.
* Dennis Ellis (dre@sequoia.cray.com) *                                       *
* Cray Research, Inc.                 *                                       *
* Eagan, MN 55121                     * All the normal stuff about opinions.. *

mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) (06/04/91)

Dennis>  The system configurations are (roughly):

Dennis>     XMS      about $300,000
Dennis>     YMP-EL   about $400,000 to $1,000,000
Dennis>     YMP2E    about $2,000,000 to 5,000,000
Dennis>     YMP4E    about $4,000,000 to 10,000,000
Dennis>     YMP8I    about $15,000,000
Dennis>     YMP8E    about $20,000,000

Dennis>   These are ranges (obviously) and approximate prices
Dennis> (depending on the details of the configurations and add-ons)

I have never seen a technical summary of the models XMS or Y/MP-EL.

What are their vital statistics?

If the XMS is really X/MP compatible, then I guess all I need is the
clock speed.  If not, what is the maximum sustainable memory bandwidth
from main memory to vector registers?

Ditto for the YMP/EL.

Thanks!

--
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin@brahms.udel.edu

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (06/04/91)

In article <MCCALPIN.91Jun3142209@pereland.cms.udel.edu> mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:
>I have never seen a technical summary of the models XMS or Y/MP-EL.
>
>What are their vital statistics?
>
>If the XMS is really X/MP compatible, then I guess all I need is the
>clock speed.  If not, what is the maximum sustainable memory bandwidth
>from main memory to vector registers?

The XMS is the Supertek S-1 in Cray clothing.  40 nSec clock.  Somewhere around
a quarter of a single X/MP head.

>Ditto for the YMP/EL.

Dunno about that one -- I had notes from the dog and pony CRI put on a few
weeks ago but can't seem to find them.  About 1/4 of a Y/MP rings a bell but
I could be making that up.  Cray-ons?

							spl (the p stands for
							probably comes with a
							hand crank instead of
							a bench seat...)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2752 -- a guest at network.ucsd.edu --
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943

dre@sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) (06/05/91)

In article <MCCALPIN.91Jun3142209@pereland.cms.udel.edu> mccalpin@perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:

>I have never seen a technical summary of the models XMS or Y/MP-EL.
>
>What are their vital statistics?
>
>If the XMS is really X/MP compatible, then I guess all I need is the
>clock speed.  If not, what is the maximum sustainable memory bandwidth
>from main memory to vector registers?

  The XMS is X-MP compatable. It runs UNICOS and all the applications
optimized for the X-MP. The general characteristics are:

    55 ns clock
    64-bit architecture
    64 or 128 MB memory
    80 ns DRAM
    576 MB/s bandwidth
    4 memory ports (2 read, 1 write, 1 i/o)
    VME I/O subsystem
    36 MFLOPS peak (100x100 is 9, 1000x1000 is 34)

>Ditto for the YMP/EL.

  The YMP/EL has not, as of yet, been officially announced, but here are
some specs which have been provided in the past:

    30 ns clock
    64-bit vector, Y-MP campatable
    256 to 1024 MB memory
    1 GB/sec bandwidth per CPU
    1 to 4 CPUs
    4 memory ports

  The rest will be available at time of announcement

>Thanks!

  You're welcome!

* Dennis Ellis (dre@sequoia.cray.com) *                                       *
* Cray Research, Inc.                 *                                       *
* Eagan, MN 55121                     * All the normal stuff about opinions.. *

uh311ae@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Henrik Klagges) (06/08/91)

Hello,
just reading the specs of the small X-Cray (64 bit architecture, 36MFlops
Peak, >.5GB/s mem bandwidth, 55 ns clock, 80 ns DRAM (64-128MB) ), I wonder
how this machine compares to the new superworkstations like the snake from HP.
These should get very close (60 MHz 64 bit architecture) at less than a tenth
of the cost (e.g., 20-30k $).
Cheers, Rick@vee.lrz-muenchen.de