[comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ] How do you pronounce "quipu" ?

gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John McQueen) (12/15/89)

According to the ISODE 5.0 manual the pronounciation of "quipu" is
	kwip-ooo

Now if quipu is named after the devices the Incas used to use then
according to my understanding the pronounciation should be more like
	kip-ooo

In Spanish the "qu" is said more like the hard "k" in english not "kw"
Having actually seen a real Inca quipu I was a bit suprised to hear it
pronounced "kwip-ooo"

	John McQueen

John Scott McQueen			    |   gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923495
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557

cmf@obie.cis.pitt.edu (Carl M. Fongheiser) (12/16/89)

In article <1989Dec15.083417.13147@metro.ucc.su.oz.au> gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John McQueen) writes:
>According to the ISODE 5.0 manual the pronounciation of "quipu" is
>	kwip-ooo
>
>In Spanish the "qu" is said more like the hard "k" in english not "kw"
>Having actually seen a real Inca quipu I was a bit suprised to hear it
>pronounced "kwip-ooo"

Remember, though, that the Incas have/had their own language, which
doesn't resemble Spanish at all.

				Carl Fongheiser
				cmf@unix.cis.pitt.edu

mrose@CHEETAH.NYSER.NET (Marshall Rose) (12/17/89)

I have it on good authority that the *ancient* peruvian pronunciation was

	kwip-ooo

as described in Volume 5 of The User's Manual.

/mtr

mgc@myshkin.ahse.cdc.com (Mark G Christenson) (12/18/89)

I think if you were to consult a dictionary, you would find something like:
       _    __
      ke - poo

Mark Christenson
Control Data Corporation

tebbutt@RHINO.NCSL.NIST.GOV (John Tebbutt) (12/19/89)

>I think if you were to consult a dictionary, you would find something like:
>       _    __
>      ke - poo

But what kind of dictionary ? The pronunciation given by a dictionary is almost
bound to be anglicized, hispanicized, or whatever, according to the
enunciational proclivities of the culture which produced it. Hence such
oratorial manglings as "ron-day-voo" and "oat coo-chore" for the French
"rendezvous" and "haute couture". Thus, an English or Spanish dictionary just
will not do in this case, and even a dictionary of the ancient Inca language
(known to scholars as "malapproprian") suffers from related flaws : very few
people can read it, for a start. What is needed in this case is first hand
experience of the language, as spoken by the people.

My wizened old Peruvian piano teacher swears she is almost ancient enough to
qualify as an Inca, and whenever I mention ISODE to her, her face wrinkles up,
her dear old eyes twinkle, and she shrieks

			KWY-pee-ow-UH !

and launches into a spirited but rather shaky rendition of "The Yellow Rose of
Texas".

Now that we've cleared that up, I trust that the ISODE (meaning "small pouch
fashioned from the bladder of a prairie dog, used to carry secret personal
caches of Tabasco sauce" and pronounced "EE-zo-DAY" by the ancient Aztecs)
documentation will be amended to reflect the correct pronunciation. |-)  B^)

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all !

			JT

carlson@LANCE.TIS.LLNL.GOV (John Carlson) (12/19/89)

-
-Now if quipu is named after the devices the Incas used to use then
-according to my understanding the pronounciation should be more like
-	kip-ooo

This word came up in a game of "Fictionary" I played this weekend.  One
made up definition was "A form of British slapstick."

In French, it's probably kip-ooo too, but that doesn't have anything
to do with Incanese.

Which dictionary has the correct pronounciation?

Injest,

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov

ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz (George Michaelson) (12/22/89)

To paraphrase the golden rule:

	"They who write the software pick the pronounciation"

And with respect to I-SO-D-E and KWIP-OOOO I feel motivated to respect
their reasonably inaliable rights.

PS #1:
	-By comparison with uk domain ordering, this bunfight is nowhere...

PS #2:
	-As long as the code works, who gives a $#%! anyhow...

Happy networking,
	-George

Internet: G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au                     Phone: +61 7 377 4079
  Postal: George Michaelson, Prentice Computer Centre
          Queensland University, St Lucia, QLD Australia 4067.