[comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ] How Serious are we about running quipu?

gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John McQueen) (04/11/90)

I guess these questions are directed to all those DSA managers out there.

How serious are you about running quipu?

Is it just something that you got for free compiled - it worked
so you put a bit of data in and connected up - or are
you a bit more serious about maintaining a proper directory. I.e.
keeping all the information up to date and complete.

I know George Michaelson at the University of Queensland (Australia)
seems to have the entire payroll of the university loaded up.

Here at Sydney University we are a bit unsure as to how far to go with
it. Whether to suggest to the admin people they use it for maintaining
their phone book, or just let things go along and let our data go slowly
out of date.

My personal thoughts are that if we are going to do this then me may
as well do it properly, and each organization make some sort of
commitment in money/manpower to maintaining an uptodate complete
directory.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?

	John McQueen
John Scott McQueen			    |   gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923495
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557

sean@DSL.PITT.EDU (Sean McLinden) (04/11/90)

> How serious are you about running quipu?
>
> Is it just something that you got for free compiled - it worked
> so you put a bit of data in and connected up - or are
> you a bit more serious about maintaining a proper directory. I.e.
> keeping all the information up to date and complete.

I am, perhaps, not the best person to be answer this since our reasons
for running the pilot software had more to do with exploring applications
of X.500 services, but...

We (University of Pittsburgh), have roughly 2000 entries in our DSA.
This represents less than 10% of the total number of accounts supported
on our various systems. The difficulties with doing as you suggest are:

1. The lack of any real applications software which would provide an
incentive for mainitaining an uptodate database. For example, if WP could
be used to maintain the University's campus telephone directory. The PP
and MH mail systems might provide just the incentive just as the Andrew
White Pages is used by the Andrew Message Delivery System.

2. The lack of integration into Unix accounts management software. We
have users with many accounts over many systems, some of which have different
names, many of which contain inaccuracies. Since there is no real central
accounts management for many of the research systems, detecting aliases,
duplicates and things can be quite difficult. Given the number of variations
on Unix password files, it is non-trivial to even parse these into meaningful
DSA entries.

3. Occasional quirks of the code. The organization of the pilot is such
that the master DSAs actually edit (copy) data into the local EDBs. This
isn't much of a problem as long as the system continues to run but a
quirky memory error on the DECStation 3100 causes our DSA to crash once
every 18 hours or so. When it goes to reload, it cannot restart the DSA
because of errors in the EDB files. We workaround this by keeping copies
of our startup EDB files, and restoring those prior to restarting QUIPU,
but this is suboptimal.

To be fair, it has been a mammoth effort for the ISODE and QUIPU
developers to have gotten the code even to this state; a remarkable
accomplishment. But the software is still too experimental for many
institutions to consider running as a reali world appliction.

> My personal thoughts are that if we are going to do this then me may
> as well do it properly, and each organization make some sort of
> commitment in money/manpower to maintaining an uptodate complete
> directory.

Agreed. But the problem is justifying the money and manpower. I don't
know how things work in your institution, but I know that in mine, some
of the most useful packages (GNU emacs and gcc, X, ISODE, TeX), were
installed, developed, and maintained by people who did it, not because
they were paid to do it, but because they were interested. It was
popularity of use that convinced administration to spend money on support.
Even then, it was a long time in coming and the funds were never what we
would like them to be.

In the real world, it is *very* difficult to find money to support
experimental software. Personally, I think that those types of activities
are why Universities exist, but the distinction between Academia and
Industry is becoming smaller and smaller with each year. We don't have
the luxuries that we did, even 5 years ago.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory
University of Pittsburgh

vcerf@NRI.RESTON.VA.US (04/11/90)

Mr. McQueen,

Speaking for the IAB, may I encourage everyone who is in
a position to create an X.500 database to press ahead
seriously with plans to populate and maintain it. We
have an unquestioned need for email white pages capability.
Whether one uses QUIPU or another X.500 implementation
is less relevant that getting X.500 facilities into place
in the Internet.

Centralized databases, except perhaps those maintained by
public email carriers, have a tendency to get out of date
despite the best efforts of the maintainers. By distributing
the system and bringing it closer to each user's email
host, we hope to improve the quality and longevity of these
databases.

Vint Cerf

schoff@PSI.COM ("Martin Lee Schoffstall") (04/11/90)

John,

nysernet/psi have a pilot whitepages service that has the "payrolls"
of over 40 organizations in it, including universities, commercial
organizations, and government agencies.  There are approaching 200,000
entries throughout the various DSA's which are all quipu based.

If you want to exercise it telnet/rlogin into wp.psi.com and login
as "fred".  There is both an ascii oriented and a X11 base user
agent to run there.

Marty
-----------

alan@CURTA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Alan Crosswell) (04/11/90)

> How serious are you about running quipu?

At Columbia University we've announced whitepages as an integral part
of our campus-wide "let's get everybody using electronic mail"
initiative.  We have committed manpower and hardware to run the
directory.  We are of course behind schedule with this initiative, so
the directory data is currently a bit stale (August '89) but no worse
than the printed campus phonebook.  The actual flow of data from our
personnel system has been in production operation for quite some time
with updates weekly, but the updates have been collecting in an ingres
database waiting to be converted into EDB updates.

There have also been some performance problems due to our EDB
structure which I intend to experiment with (just like I said I was
going to do in my talk two Nysertech meetings ago:-).

So I guess that means we are pretty serious about it.

/a

kincl@IAG.HP.COM (Norman Kincl) (04/11/90)

Hewlett-Packard right now fits in the experimental stage of utilizing
quipu.  The group I work for uses the directory to maintain our mailing
lists, so that portion (ou=Information Architecture Group) is complete
and acurate.  However, maintaining quipu is not part of my real job.  At
this point I am doing it because it is something that is important, even
though only indirectly related to my work.

Other level-2 DSAs have different objectives for what they have.  My
requirement before I connect them in to the DIT is that the data they
have be correct, but not necessarily complete.

One of the areas we are looking at is the proper access limitations to
place on the data.  Unfortunatly, quipu currently does not allow the
full flexibility that we need.  This will probably delay any attempts to
fully utilize quipu throughout HP.

-Norm

BEC@ALBNYVM1.BITNET (Ben Chi) (04/11/90)

On Wed, 11 Apr 90 13:58:39 +0100 John McQueen said (regarding the X.500
pilot):
>. . .
>My personal thoughts are that if we are going to do this then me may
>as well do it properly, and each organization make some sort of
>commitment in money/manpower to maintaining an uptodate complete
>directory. . .

I couldn't agree more strongly.  The whole point of a >distributed<
directory is so that the contributors of the various pieces could
keep those pieces up to date.  If this is not done, the whole project
will ultimately fail, just as have a number of other attempts at
"wide-area" directories, most of which were not nearly as well-con-
ceived.

We generate an entirely new EDB directly from the University's
Personnel Database every month.  I'd be interested what the practice
other DSA managers in this connection.

VALDIS@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Valdis Kletnieks) (04/12/90)

On 11 Apr 90 02:58:37 GMT you said:
>How serious are you about running quipu?

Here at Virginia Tech, we are quite serious about running quipu.
We are in the process of loading our entire personnel file into it,
and are putting into place mechanisms for timely update of the data
(Probably will be once-a-week updates for now, we are aiming for
real-time online updates in the future.

Eventually, we plan to have some 6,000 employee entries and some
23,000 student entries in our quipu database, and to use this as the
central "people" database for all functions.

One of our major problems is that we have a fairly large number of
locally defined attributes that we had to add to make it fly politically
(Using quipu as "just a phone book" didn't sell), and most of these
attributes have fairly long ACL lists defining which offices and
users can read/compare/etc the entry.  The end result is that we end up
with 70-line EDB entries, 45 lines of which are ACL lists.  It would be
*quite* helpful if it were possible to "default" an ACL list for a given
attribute, which would cut the size of our EDB entries down by literally 60%.
Steve Kille has informed me that he's considering the problem, but I
have no idea if/when we will see C code to implement a solution.

                                  Valdis Kletnieks
                                  Computer Systems Engineer
                                  Virginia Tech

sollins@LCS.MIT.EDU (Karen R. Sollins) (04/12/90)

We have suggested to MIT that Quipu be used in place of the simple
finger and forwarding service now provided.  The response was that this
could not be done until particular security problems were addressed
and the solutions demonstrated to be trustworthy.  MIT views its phone
book and lists of students and employees as private, and access to
them as an invasion of privacy.  The MIT phone book is only available
to the MIT community.  One can call and get a specific phone number
but not a list of them.  The same sort of policy must be available in
an electronic service.

Access control lists generally restrict access to individual data
items.  What we need to be able to do is restrict certain operations
on sets of data items.  In vague terms we need to be able to limit the
search operations or perhaps the results of a search to no more than a
small number of objects, such as perhaps 2 or 3 or maybe 5.

On the other hand, if we could demonstrate the viability of a security
mechanism to their satisfaction, acquiring the "phone book" would pose
no technical problem.  This does not address the question of keeping
the information up to date, but it could certainly be at least as up
to date as the telecommunications office that provides phone
assistance.

			Karen Sollins

ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz (George Michaelson) (04/13/90)

gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John McQueen) writes:
>I guess these questions are directed to all those DSA managers out there.
>How serious are you about running quipu?

Very. Having shifted from a department-pays-for-use system of networked
and central computing resource usage to centrally funded "the network
is infrastructure" models we badly need to get on top of a general
information management problem. QUIPU fits the midterm bill well
as an (albiet researchy but...) sufficiently robust version of something
that we can point to and say to the infidels of management

	"look what we got to try and fix our problems"

and other good noises. We'll stick with it until something better
comes along, and I dont see anything looming on the horizon yet!

>I know George Michaelson at the University of Queensland (Australia)
>seems to have the entire payroll of the university loaded up.

This is a bootstrapping exercise. getting enough data online quickly
to justify further funding is a pain! Adding nicer info into this framework
is taking time, primarily phonelists and /etc/passwd type info. I hoped
to get some campus-context specific oid stuff together but I am very
nervous of departing from globally meaningfull information models, and
would LOVE to see what other people consider "useful" information types.
One that springs to mind for us is:

	mapReference :gridlocation a la A-Z guide or numbered building map

Since we want to see this used for more general "whois <x> and how do
I find her" searches eg from S.U. refectory & library installed terminals.

>Here at Sydney University we are a bit unsure as to how far to go with
>it. Whether to suggest to the admin people they use it for maintaining
>their phone book, or just let things go along and let our data go slowly
>out of date.

I am VERY nervous of taking so long that the data becomes stale. I'd figure
anything that lags more than 3 months on the real world is getting dangerously
old especially with the new PABX coming in (lotsa phone number changes)

It is VERY tempting to "sell" QUIPU to mgt as the answer to their
prayers, but when facing somebody(somecommittee?) that just spent $x000
on ORACLE or some other DB for MIS applications It can get a bit
embarrassing.

I personally DO want to try and get QUIPU wedded into the general staff
appointements process (so that you are online from day #1 of your working
(students comes later I suspect) life at UQ, if you use email or not)
but I think I'm going to be moving a bit slowly towards this.

I'd like to demonstrate an ability to handle plausibly complex information
before I commit and I mean "manage" at the human level, I don't doubt QUIPU
is up to it.

Security of personal data looms large as a user-specified worry. Its one
thing to choose to have your mugshot stored online, but getting it
done by default scares the hell out of me. Ditto home address/phone info
(yes its in the phonebook but you can't do fast context-sensitive searches
through there unless VERY committed to chasing my (paranoid) tail)

>My personal thoughts are that if we are going to do this then me may
>as well do it properly, and each organization make some sort of
>commitment in money/manpower to maintaining an uptodate complete
>directory.

Definitely. The exact level of funding is hard to pin down though...
initial h/w costs locally we fudged by getting a good "porting"
discount (thanks guys) but labour will FAR outweigh this if you add up:

	1+ Database Manager
	1 data entry team
	secretarial staff
	committee to manage above and integrate into general admin
	re-print stationary

as longterm costs. You have to sell an increase in functionality rather
than definite savings I think... well you can suggest email based comms
is cheaper than paper, but the directory is only 1 facet of that argument.
Its trying to sell MHS/networks WITHOUT a directory that doesnt make sense
the all look to the net as a phone-like system and expect a directory
to co-exist with the comms packages from day 1 (and I dont blame them!
we must be crazy to accept a global net with no directory!)

...Not to mention help/docco/porting and fending off people who want you
to run <xyz> product instead... (sigh)

I did a report for the Qld state government computer centre on directory
and naming issues in their network. I did a pretty cack-handed job of it,
but one solid thing came out of it for me:

	You are walking on a LOT of sensitive feet when you try and
	structure a namespace and manage it longterm. Selling a specific
	package or system is not nearly as important as selling the IDEA
	of a managed namespace for ALL communications (you can interpret
	managed in any way you see fit including deliberate anarchy) and
	you are looking at a small to medium sized department which has to
	exist longterm for any body of more than trivial size.

I personally favour taking QUIPU as a starting point and generating a
good enough demonstrator to hand it over to somebody else for integration
into the local system. I suspect I wind up selling my own org within the
university as the body to manage it since nobody else is likely to take
it seriously. The phone-net and even campus video people are already being
softened for takeover by the campus computing body so this probably makes
sense longterm.

If we wind up using some mix of Kerberos-like and QUIPU for Information
access and access control I'll be pretty happy. If we wind up with one
single mechanism for both I'll be deliriously happy.

Wanted:

	Cheap/free PC/MAC --->integrated<--- X.400 and X.500 tool. We
	already have  back-ends for these. we need the user interface.

	Should preferably mask underlying server architecture (unix vs VMS)

-George
	G.Michaelson
Internet: G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au                     Phone: +61 7 377 4079
  Postal: George Michaelson, Prentice Computer Centre
          The University of Queensland, St Lucia, QLD Australia 4067.