[net.lan] Sources for OSI standards and proposals

michaelo@tektronix.UUCP (Michael O'Hair) (05/18/85)

are four groups involved in the OSI standardization: NBS, IEEE, ISO,
and CCITT.

Their addresses:

	National Bureau of Standards
	Building 225
	Room B218
	Gaithersburg, MD  20899

	IEEE Standards Office
	345 E. 47 Street
	New York, NY  10017

	ISO documents may be obtained from:

	    Frances E. Schrotter
	    ANSI
	    ISO TC97/SC6 Secretariat
	    1430 Broadway
	    New York, NY  10018

	CCITT documents may be obtained from:

	    International Telecommunications Union
	    Place des Nations
	    CH 1211
	    Geneve 20 Switzerland

Be forewarned that the volume of paper will be dangerous to your lower
back!

		Michael J. O'Hair
		tektronix!michaelo

		Tektronix, Inc.
		P.O. Box 500
		Beaverton, OR  97077
		M/S 782

karn@petrus.UUCP (05/20/85)

While you're at it, you should give equal time to the loyal opposition.

Michael Padlipsky has recently published a book through Prentice Hall
entitled "The Elements of Networking Style" (ISBN 0-13-268111-0.) It is a
compendium of critiques on the many questionable aspects of the ISO/OSI and
CCITT approaches to networking.  It presents a pretty strong case in favor
of the ARPA protocols (including TCP/IP), by pointing out that they have
already done for almost 10 years everything that ISO is just now getting
around to re-inventing.

Well worth reading if you'd like to avoid buying a picture of a pig in a
poke (to quote one of the author's favorite expressions.)

Phil Karn

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (05/20/85)

In article <354@petrus.UUCP> karn@petrus.UUCP writes:
>Michael Padlipsky has recently published a book through Prentice Hall
>entitled "The Elements of Networking Style" (ISBN 0-13-268111-0.)

For those who dn't want to wait and have access to the ARPANET RFC's,
you might want to read RFC's 87[12345], which were written by Padlipsky
and probably address the same topic.

My personal opinion, after reading these RFC's, was that while I agree
with what Padlipsky is trying to say, he must have written those RFC's
after a particularly heated argument with an ISO proponent.  He argues
so strongly and not especially coherently, and repeats himself so much,
that it's hard to come away from the RFC's agreeing with him.

Perhaps the book is better presented, having had more time to cool down.
However, it wouldn't hurt to have a pair of asbestos gloves handy when
you go to read it.

His fundamental point, as I recall, was that since ISO has 7 layers,
networking software will spend so much effort interfacing between layers
that performance will go down the tubes.  While I agree with this overall
opinion of ISO, I must point out that, at least in theory, some of the
layers can be null, or implemented by coding conventions and not with
separate software.

	Mark

larry@anasazi.UUCP (Larry Rodis) (05/22/85)

> While you're at it, you should give equal time to the loyal opposition.
>
> Michael Padlipsky has recently published a book through Prentice Hall
> entitled "The Elements of Networking Style" (ISBN 0-13-268111-0.) It is a
> compendium of critiques on the many questionable aspects of the ISO/OSI and
> CCITT approaches to networking.  It presents a pretty strong case in favor
> of the ARPA protocols (including TCP/IP), by pointing out that they have
> already done for almost 10 years everything that ISO is just now getting
> around to re-inventing.
>
> Well worth reading if you'd like to avoid buying a picture of a pig in a
> poke (to quote one of the author's favorite expressions.)
>
> Phil Karn

There is one problem with your suggestion to use ARPA protocols over ISO/OSI
and that ISO/OSI is an international standard (or will be).  That is the
biggest reason to use it.  I realize that it is not the best (I'm working on
X.25 and the Transport Layer) but it is being molded into a standard.
There is much to be said to writing systems around a standard that is
being accepted worldwide.  The most logical example is unix, it may not be
the best OS in the world but it will run on more machines than anything else
and therefore many companies are putting unix on there systems.
Considering how much  software maintenance costs portability is the name
of the game, and the ISO OSI protocals will help to achieve network
portability.
--
Larry Rodis

UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!larry
              ucbvax!arizona!asuvax!anasazi!larry
PHONE: +1 (602)275-0302

jst@wucs.UUCP (Jon Turner) (05/30/85)

In article <198@anasazi.UUCP> larry@anasazi.UUCP (Larry Rodis) writes:

>> Michael Padlipsky has recently published a book through Prentice Hall
>> entitled "The Elements of Networking Style" (ISBN 0-13-268111-0.) It is a
>> compendium of critiques on the many questionable aspects of the ISO/OSI and
>> CCITT approaches to networking.  It presents a pretty strong case in favor
>> of the ARPA protocols (including TCP/IP), by pointing out that they have
>> already done for almost 10 years everything that ISO is just now getting
>> around to re-inventing.
>>

>There is one problem with your suggestion to use ARPA protocols over ISO/OSI
>and that ISO/OSI is an international standard (or will be).  That is the
>biggest reason to use it.  I realize that it is not the best (I'm working on
>X.25 and the Transport Layer) but it is being molded into a standard.
>There is much to be said to writing systems around a standard that is
>being accepted worldwide.  The most logical example is unix, it may not be
>the best OS in the world but it will run on more machines than anything else
>and therefore many companies are putting unix on there systems.
>Considering how much  software maintenance costs portability is the name
>of the game, and the ISO OSI protocals will help to achieve network
>portability.

I'm afraid you picked a terrible analogy. Unix was a very successful operating
system with a lot of miles on it before the standardization effort began.
That is, it was a de facto standard before anyone thought of making it an
official standard. (So far as I know, it's still not an official standard
but I don't think the lack of standardization will in any way impede its
success.) The ARPA protocols are also a de facto standard. They've
been around for a lot of years and have a lot of mileage on them in a wide
variety of different machines and operating systems. Many places uses them,
including anyplace that runs 4.2 BSD. The ISO/OSI protocols are not a de facto
standard and may never be. One of Padlipsky's big questions is (to paraphrase)
"Why commit your future to a committee-designed protocol suite, which
has never been fully implemented, with which there is limited
operational experience and which has a lot of known warts when there
exists a very workable de facto standard already available?"

I think he's got a point. I second Phil Karn's recommedation of Padlipsky's
book. It's one of the funniest books I've ever read and is worth reading
just for entertainment. It also has a serious message which should be heeded
by anyone getting into the "intercomputer networking game."

--

Jon Turner 	Washington University in St. Louis 314-889-6193
UUCP:		jst@wucs.UUCP  or  ..!{ihnp4,seismo}!wucs!jst