[comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ] RE>question about static se

Jimmy_Guse.NSD@LCCMAIL.OCF.LLNL.GOV (Jimmy Guse) (01/30/91)

        Reply to:   RE>question about static serve
First, a static server does not use the tsapd process.  It runs independently,
in fact, very similarly to the way tsapd itself runs.

Assuming you got a dynamic server to work, a static server merely requires a
change to the line in isoentities as well as running the server (manually, with
no arguments prior to attempting to contact it from a client.

For example, the password servers line is: (as a dynamic server)
default      passwdstore    1.17.4.0.12       #521

As a static server it would read:
HOSTNAME     passwdstore    1.17.4.0.12       #521/Internet=HOSTNAME+18000

That is, if you are running TCP/IP on the US Internet, which you are not.
18000 is any valid user port number in unix.  Note that
"passwdstore"=REMOTESERV in your example.

--------------------------------------
Date: 1/28/91
To: Jimmy Guse
From: artico%TECULX.TECSIEL.IT%NIC.DD
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 91 18:23:54 +0100
From:     artico%TECULX.TECSIEL.IT%NIC.DDN.MIL@CCC.NERSC.GOV
Subject: question about static servers
To:       isode@nic.ddn.mil

Hi everybody!

We have desperately been trying to implement a static server above the
tsapd process. We do not know how to configure the isoservices and
isoentities files so that the client process can correctly address the
remote service.
Example: suppose that our host name is HOSTNAME and the remote
service is REMOTESERV, how would you configure the above mentioned
files?
We are following the ISODE Users's Manual Volume 1, nov 88 chap 8
section 3 page 147 without success.

Paolo Artico

      Tecsiel S.p.A., Via S.Maria 19, I-56100 Pisa - Italy
      email: artico@tecsiel.it      phone: +39-(50)-512571