[comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ] FTAM mods--nodenames

shuford@cs.utk.edu (02/25/91)

>  From: karen@informatics.rutherford.ac.uk
>
>  Now I am wondering, although I don't need it immediately,  whether
>  it would not be for the long-term best if ISODE's FADUidentity
>  structure specified names as bounded strings (a "char*" and
>  an "int" giving the string length) rather than just "char *".
>  Up till now ISODE has not made much use of FADU names, so if
>  such a change ought to be made this would be an excellent time
>  to do it. What do you people think?
>
>  Karen

Having recently read the interesting commentary in "Some Sad Remarks
About String Handling in C" by Paul W. Abrahams (SIGPLAN Notices,
V. 23, n. 10, pp. 61-68),  I'm inclined to concur that including an
explicit string length in such structures would be a good idea.

It would enable the implementation to become both more "conformant"
and more "performant".

--
.....Richard S. Shuford  | "Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke
.....shuford@cs.utk.edu  |  a wise man and he will love you.  Instruct a wise