[comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ] ASN Macro Support

shh@i88.isc.com (Shiv Haris) (03/02/91)

I am trying to find out if there is any Macro support
in ASN for 1988 MHS. Isode 6.0 Pepy/Posy does not have
support for this. Is this is planned/available in
new releases of Isode.

Thanks,

-shiv

shh@i88.isc.com (Shiv Haris) (03/02/91)

I am trying to find out if there is any Macro support
in ASN for 1988 MHS. Isode 6.0 Pepy/Posy does not have
support for this. Is this is planned/available in
new releases of Isode.

I am soliciting pointers to this.

Thanks,

-shiv

(708) 305-3216
shh@i88.isc.com or shh@mtc.com

osmith@acorn.co.uk (Owen Smith) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar1.170856.14132@i88.isc.com> shh@i88.isc.com (Shiv Haris)
writes:

>I am trying to find out if there is any Macro support
>in ASN for 1988 MHS. Isode 6.0 Pepy/Posy does not have
>support for this.

ASN.1 macros are a real pain in the neck to parse, and anyway you don't need
support for macros to do 1988 MHS extensions. All you need is an
"ANY defined by ID" kind of statement. I speak from practical experience
of having used this kind of feature myself. I'm not sure if anything like
this is in Pepy/Posy though. Example:

ExtensionAttribute ::= Sequence
{
    type                [0] Integer,
    criticality         [1] BitString DEFAULT {},
    data                [2] ANY
    {
        0:              ORName,
        1:              BitString,
        2:              Integer
    } DEFINED BY type
}

Owen.

The views expressed are my own and are not necessarily those of Acorn.