[comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ] DUA with non local DSA?

michael@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Schmidt) (04/12/91)

Is it somehow possible to run a DUA, that comes with QUIPU (esp. pod)
against a non local DSA?

Or, even more interesting, is it possible to share the same
executables and tailor files among machines, which run or run not a
local DSA?
--
      Michael Schmidt, FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Warburgerstr. 100,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany

a2824ak@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Thomas Kaiser) (04/12/91)

michael@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Schmidt) writes:

>Is it somehow possible to run a DUA, that comes with QUIPU (esp. pod)
>against a non local DSA?

>Or, even more interesting, is it possible to share the same
>executables and tailor files among machines, which run or run not a
>local DSA?
>--
>      Michael Schmidt, FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Warburgerstr. 100,
>                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany
>Mail:   michael@pbinfo.UUCP         or          michael@uni-paderborn.de

Just do pod -c puma for example.

Thomas Kaiser
LRZ-Muenchen

Thomas Kaiser         Internet:	kaiser@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de
LRZ-Muenchen          X400:	C=DE;A=DBP;P=LRZ-MUENCHEN;OU=LRZ;S=Kaiser

A.Macpherson@stl.stc.co.uk (Andrew Macpherson, Postmaster) (04/13/91)

Michael Schmidt wrote:

| Is it somehow possible to run a DUA, that comes with QUIPU (esp. pod)
| against a non local DSA?

most of the DUAs take a -c flag eg
	dish -c "Giant Tortoise"
the argument is either a DSA listed in your dsaptailor file, or a
presentation address.

	By default the DSAs call the address listed as the first
dsa_address in your dsaptailor file.

| Or, even more interesting, is it possible to share the same
| executables and tailor files among machines, which run or run not a
| local DSA?

	Since the DUA calls this dsa_address by default the important thing is
to use the `public' address of the DSA in dsaptailor.  The problem really
is to make sure that `quiputailor' is correct for each host --- that has the
name of the DSA that is to be started.   You can share everything else (but
it is preferable to have a `per configuration' isotailor as well --- by
per-configuration I mean that you want a different isotailor on a machine
with X.25, from a machine only on your LAN).  consider a symbolic link to
the per-host file-store for these two files.

A tip:  It is useful if you have more than one DSA locally to use the
dsa_address entry to list all the local DSAs which have the local data, then
if one is down, perhaps the other may give you the answers you need.  To
illustrate, I have two DSAs "La Plata Otter" and "Southern River Otter"
on my LAN they are on 128.199.200.1 and 128.199.129.53 respectively.  SRO is
a slave copy of LPO.  I have in dsaptailor:

dsa_address "Otter"  stcTCP=128.199.129.53+17003|stcTCP=128.199.200.1+17003

	I actually have two seperate binary/configuration directory trees
--- one on my gateway/DSA which has one OS release, and another for the
internal hosts which share their configuration files.  (In fact the
config files are shared between architectures on the internel net as
well)

| --
|       Michael Schmidt, FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Warburgerstr. 100,
|                      D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany
| Mail:   michael@pbinfo.UUCP         or          michael@uni-paderborn.de

Again, hope this helped.