[comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ] ES-IS Resolved

cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.111104.21693@sinix.UUCP> df15@sinix.UUCP (Herr Lackinger) writes:
>In article <1991May10.045134.21142@netcom.COM> cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) writes:
>>
>> I am looking for the actual Pseudo-MAC addresses for a TP4 imnplementation
>>for the ES.IS-ES Group Multicast and the ES.IS-IS Group Multicast.  I
>>understand that there was a TOP/NetBIOS discussion that got blessed by
>>the NIST on this regard, but have yet to find any paper documention on
>>this subject.  I need help!
>>
>>Here is what I found:
>>
>>IS-ES: 09002b000004
>>
>>but my router thinks differently!  I found it wants:
>>IS-ES: 030000000200 (cisco...)
>>
>EWOS Document 008 (ED008) states in 6.2.1.16 (Page 13)
>
>all ES: 1001 0000 0000 0000 1101 0100 0000 0000 0000 0010 0000 (09002b000004)
>all IS: 1001 0000 0000 0000 1101 0100 0000 0000 0000 1010 0000 (09002b000005)
>
>Heinz Rudolf  Siemens Nixdorf STO NC154

Ah, I have found several references that back-up these standards - ahem,
however...I failed to mention (because I didn't think it was an issue)
that I was attempting to route over Token Ring, which uses FUNCTIONAL
Addresses rather than multicast.

I found references to the addresses in:

1988 NIST agreement (which reversed IS and ES addresses)
AT&T documentation (the addresses for csma come from their bank of numbers)
TOP/NetBIOS Working Group of the MAP/TOP committee

Basically, 'cisco' made a boo-boo in several ways:
1) all standards related to these addresses state that they must be
   CONFIGURABLE (PROMS do *not* count!)
2) in some cases, the 4th and 5th octets were reversed - in others it is
   inexplicable where they got the numbers.....

A fix is on the way (OH, how I wish I didn't have to deal with TR!).

|                   Carlo Milono                                           |
|    Personal:    cmilono@netcom.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono           |
| Hobbes: "Life in the Great Suburban Outback is certainly fraught with    |
|          peril."                                                         |
| Calvin: "If you'd seen it, you'd have been scared too."                  |

mckellar@pinocchio.encore.com (Steve McKellar) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May24.031145.948@netcom.COM> cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono)
writes:

> Ah, I have found several references that back-up these standards - ahem,
> however...I failed to mention (because I didn't think it was an issue)
> that I was attempting to route over Token Ring, which uses FUNCTIONAL
> Addresses rather than multicast.

um, could someone explain - or point to an explanation - of FUNCTIONAL
addresses? what they are, how they're used, etc. thanks.

steve mckellar