[comp.protocols.iso.dev-environ] Isode on HP over X.25?

ricky@citrus.citr.uq.oz.au (Ricky Leung) (06/03/91)

We have an application running on ISODE 6.0 on a Sun 4 over SunLink
and would like to port the application to an HP running HPUX.  My
question is:  does ISODE 6.0 support X.25 on the HP?  If so, how
can I install (configure) ISODE 6.0 on the HP to run on X.25 (but
not TCP/IP)?  I have looked at the two files, hpux.h and
hpux.makefile, in the isode-6.0/config directory, but couldn't find
any clue.

If ISODE 6.0 does not support X.25 on the HP, will the latest (ISODE
6.8?) or the coming ones support it?

Thanks,
Ricky.
Ricky Leung
Centre for Information Technology Research   Phone: +61 7 365-4321
The University of Queesnland		     Fax:   +61 7 365-4399
Queensland  4072, Australia		     Email: ricky@citrus.citr.uq.oz.au

ggm@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (George Michaelson) (06/03/91)

ricky@citrus.citr.uq.oz.au (Ricky Leung) writes:

>We have an application running on ISODE 6.0 on a Sun 4 over SunLink
>and would like to port the application to an HP running HPUX.  My
>question is:  does ISODE 6.0 support X.25 on the HP?  If so, how
>can I install (configure) ISODE 6.0 on the HP to run on X.25 (but
>not TCP/IP)?  I have looked at the two files, hpux.h and
>hpux.makefile, in the isode-6.0/config directory, but couldn't find
>any clue.

HP doesn't yet have integrated support for X.25 in the ISODE release
thats publically available. I wouldn't be surprized if there IS X.25
code out there... but its not in 6.8 yet.

You will have to use the tsbridge facility in others/tsbridge to get
X.25 calls via another box, such as a Sun.

If you have documentation for a native sockets interface to X.25
then coding this up is trivial. Follow compat/ubcx25.c and compat/sunlink.c
for examples, modify h/x25.h with suitable code, and add address translation
routines into compat/x25addr.c.

It helps if the X.25 code can do fully async i/o, and supports the select()
system call properly.

If you have a non-sockets interface life is not so simple, but it CAN be
done.

If you want any help with this ricky, my phone is always there.  I'm a
bit surprised your asking about isode-6.0, I installed ISODE-6.4 code
on at least one of your own CPU's over 8 months ago, but I guess
inter-departmental communications at U.Q are a bit cryptic at times.

	-George
--
                         George Michaelson
G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au The Prentice Centre      | There's no  market for

j.onions@xtel.co.uk (Julian Onions) (06/03/91)

No versions of ISODE that I am familiar with support HP's X.25. We do
not have access to these machines ourselves to develop such. I have
heard of people trying to do this but as of now no code has
arrived.

Julian.

j.onions@xtel.co.uk (Julian Onions) (06/03/91)

No, ISODE has several X.25 interfaces. It just happens that only one is
usuable as it is the only common operating system with X.25 that ISODE
developers have used. Generally things don't get done for ISODE unless
someone puts effort into it.

Also, up to now most X.25 interfaces I have seen have been almost
useless for real applications.

We live in hope of new contributions but we can't force them.

Julian.

uniel@UTS.UNI-C.DK (Erik Lawaetz) (06/03/91)

Isn't it easier once and for all to state clearly that ISODE works with
SunNet/SunLink X.25 for X.25 purposes?

I recall having the same discussion concerning usage with DEC
equipment, and apart from the version ported to VMS, the rule is, that
if you want X.25 with ISODE you use SUN!

It seems to me that live would be easier for everyone if this fact was
clearly stated.

Erik Lawaetz                 UNI*C Lyngby
                             Danish Computing Centre for Research and Education
+45 45 93 83 55              DTH, Building 305
Erik.Lawaetz@uni-c.dk        DK-2800 Lyngby

sylvain@cli53an.edf.fr (Sylvain Langlois) (06/05/91)

> We live in hope of new contributions but we can't force them.

I planned to work on the HP-X25 interface a while back, but due to
internal schedules I didn't have time to finish it properly. The problem I
faced was that there is two different X25 boards for HP: one from HP Corp.
which is , I guess the most common, and one from the french labs in Grenoble
which has a totally different interface. The one I have here is the french
one: I tried to get the US with no success until today but I just found a new
way which I will investigate this week.
I will have more time to work on this topic the first two weeks of July.
I`ll let you know when I'm ready (integration of HP X25 interface will be done
on the ISODE 6.8 interim release, I will do my best for it to be ready
before 7.0 is out, if you give me approximate schedules)

Sylvain

Sylvain Langlois		  "Dogmatic attachement to the supposed merits
(sylvain@cli53an.edf.fr)	   of a particular structure hinders the search
				   of an appropriate structure" (Robert Fripp)