[net.lan] "Local Area Networks", by John McNamara

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/09/85)

I see that John McNamara, author of the renowned "Technical Aspects
of Data Communications", has come out with another book,
"Local Area Networks". Would anyone who has seen this book care to comment
on it? Could it possibly be as good?
--
 People do what management inspects, not what management expects.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

topher@cyb-eng.UUCP (Topher Eliot) (06/13/85)

> I see that John McNamara, author of the renowned "Technical Aspects
> of Data Communications", has come out with another book,
> "Local Area Networks". Would anyone who has seen this book care to comment
> on it? Could it possibly be as good?

I own a copy of "Technical Aspects of Data Communications", which I bought
somewhat impulsively.  I certainly wouldn't run out and buy anything else
by this guy sight unseen.  TAoDC covered a whole lot rather lightly.

Cheers,
Topher Eliot                Cyb Systems, Austin, TX               (512) 458-3224
         {gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!topher

P.S.  Anyone want to buy my copy of TAoDC?  I'll let it go for half price.

bo@enea.UUCP (Bo Steinholtz) (06/15/85)

In article <568@cyb-eng.UUCP> topher@cyb-eng.UUCP (Topher Eliot) writes:
>> I see that John McNamara, author of the renowned "Technical Aspects
>> of Data Communications", has come out with another book,
>> "Local Area Networks". Would anyone who has seen this book care to comment
>> on it? Could it possibly be as good?
>
>I own a copy of "Technical Aspects of Data Communications", which I bought
>somewhat impulsively.  I certainly wouldn't run out and buy anything else
>by this guy sight unseen.  TAoDC covered a whole lot rather lightly.

For another view of TAoDC (2nd ed.), see ACM CR Review 39,283 (May 1982),
by A. G. Larson, Vienna, VA.  For example:

	"The second edition of this excellent handbook is a modestly
	expanded and updated version of the 1977 original edition.
	Overall, it remains the best handbook of data communications
	system technology that this reviewer has yet encountered."
	"It is simply a superb consolidation of the many essential
	and fundamental concepts requisite to the data communications art.
	After nearly five years of use of this text, this reviewer
	can give an unqualified recommendation for this well-written
	and edited handbook to all computer and  data communications
	professionals ..."