[gnu.emacs.gnews] collection of 2.0 patches

nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (06/19/89)

I'm not really sure if Matt incorporated the spate of patches he
released shortly after the original release of Gnews 2.0, but just in
case...

I have made a compressed tar of Gnews 2.0 available for ftp on
paris.ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.50].  The only difference between this
release and the one at ucbvax is that the one on paris has the file
gnews-site.el which contains all the patches that were released.  Site
specific modifications should also go into this file, as mentioned in
a previous article.

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu     | Charisma doesn't have jelly in the     |
UUCP: ucbvax!ucivax!nagel   | middle.  -- Jim Ignatowski             |

interran@interviews.stanford.edu (John Interrante) (06/19/89)

In article <18164@paris.ics.uci.edu>, nagel@paris (Mark Nagel) writes:
>I have made a compressed tar of Gnews 2.0 available for ftp on
>paris.ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.50].  The only difference between this
>release and the one at ucbvax is that the one on paris has the file
>gnews-site.el which contains all the patches that were released.  Site

Actually there are lots of differences between this release of Gnews
2.0 and the one at ucbvax because Matthew Wiener recreated the tar
file on ucbvax in order to incorporate some last-minute changes
*after* he had already announced Gnews 2.0's release.

I already had to point this out to someone who could not find
index-show-p in their copy of Gnews 2.0.  Many sites got the old
version instead of the new version; for example, the ftp archive
maintainer for labrea.stanford.edu updated labrea's copy from ucbvax
only today.  If you cannot find index-show-p in your copy of Gnews,

cd /usr/stanford/lib/gnuemacs/lisp/local/gnews-2.0/
grep -n index-show-p =* *.el /dev/null
=MANUAL:3370:@item @code{index-show-p}@ @ @ [@code{t}]
=MANUAL:3371:@vindex index-show-p
=MANUAL:6050:        index-show-p (not slow-baud-rate)
NNTP.el:345:	  (if (and index-show-p (string-match "....0" d))
NNTP.el:362:  (if index-show-p nil
Spool.el:443:	  (if (and index-show-p (string-match "....0" d))
index.el:56:(defvar index-show-p t
index.el:239:  (if index-show-p
index.el:245:  (if index-show-p (sit-for 0))

then you have the old version of Gnews 2.0 and you should update your
copy from ucbvax.berkeley.edu or labrea.stanford.edu.  In particular,
paris.ics.uci.edu still has the old version.  Some of the patches in
its gnews-site.el file are probably unnecessary now (although they
certainly couldn't hurt).

John Interrante <interran@interviews.stanford.edu>

nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (06/20/89)

In article <3530@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, interran@interviews (John Interrante) writes:
|In article <18164@paris.ics.uci.edu>, nagel@paris (Mark Nagel) writes:
|>I have made a compressed tar of Gnews 2.0 available for ftp on
|>paris.ics.uci.edu [128.195.1.50].  The only difference between this
|>release and the one at ucbvax is that the one on paris has the file
|>gnews-site.el which contains all the patches that were released.  Site
|
|Actually there are lots of differences between this release of Gnews
|2.0 and the one at ucbvax because Matthew Wiener recreated the tar
|file on ucbvax in order to incorporate some last-minute changes
|*after* he had already announced Gnews 2.0's release.

Oh great, I've been running an old 2.0 for all this time?  Oh well.  I
just grabbed the proper 2.0 from ucbvax and am in the process of
installing it.  I threw that plus that collection of patches I had in
pub/gnews on paris.ics.uci.edu.  I don't know which if any of those
patches apply to the real 2.0 version.  I'll do a diff and try to
figure that out.