[gnu.emacs.gnews] Welcome to gnu.emacs.gnews!

nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (06/15/89)

I'd like to thank Karl Kleinpaste for creating this newsgroup so
quickly.  It is unlikely that others will join the mailing list now
given the nature of this group, but the mailing list will be
maintained indefinitely just in case...  If you know anyone who
doesn't get the gnu.all hierarchy and is interested in Gnews, tell
them to send a request to info-gnews-request@ics.uci.edu.

So, I guess the first thing we should do is figure out some scheme for
maintaining Gnews (given that Matthew Wiener has truly orphaned Gnews
-- I wouldn't want to step on any toes).  This group could degenerate
rather quickly into a flurry of different patches and incompatible
changes if we don't exercise a bit of caution.  We might want to try
to use keywords in the Keywords header or possibly Subject header to
specify if the posting is a patch or addition or whatever.  If it is
just a posting discussing the system, then no keyword would be
necessary.

Has anyone out there fixed any of the major bugs in Gnews 2.0?  I've
sent several fixes to Matt over the months, but haven't heard much in
response.  I don't even remember which ones I've reported.  Perhaps
the first order of business should be to come up with a list of known
bugs and then if anyone has fixes for any of them, those fixes should
be posted.  We can consolidate that into a new bugfix version and then
work from there.  I'd be willing to coordinate the integration of
fixes and maintain an ftp'able copy on ics.uci.edu.  We don't really
do anonymous uucp here, but perhaps Karl or Bob can arrange that.

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu     | Six plus six equals fourteen for large |
UUCP: ucbvax!ucivax!nagel   | values of six -- Dave Ackerman         |

olasov@heathcliff (Benjamin Olasov) (06/16/89)

A good way to start out might to give a simple introductory discussion
of the proceedure for using Gnews, for those who haven't had the
opportunity to see any docs on it.

Are there docs on Gnews?  If so, how does one get them?

Cheers,

Ben

nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (06/17/89)

In article <6366@columbia.edu>, olasov@heathcliff (Benjamin Olasov) writes:
|A good way to start out might to give a simple introductory discussion
|of the proceedure for using Gnews, for those who haven't had the
|opportunity to see any docs on it.
|
|Are there docs on Gnews?  If so, how does one get them?

The documentation comes with Gnews in the file named =MANUAL.  If you
do not have Gnews 2.0, you should get it via anonymous ftp to
ucbvax.berkeley.edu.  The manual can be formatted for both
installation in the standard info hierarchy using the
gnews-texinfo-info or into the TeX manual using gnews-texinfo-tex.
Simply load gnews normally (see below if this is unclear), load in
=MANUAL, and type M-x gnews-texinfo-info -or- M-x gnews-texinfo-tex to
produce a manual.

To start Gnews, it depends on how it was installed at your site.
Here, I installed the gnews files in the subdirectory LIB/lisp/gnews
where LIB is the emacs library directory.  The site customizations go
into gnews/gnews-site.el.  It also contains patches.  The last thing
this file does is load Init.  I then just tell users to add the
following to their .emacs (it could be added to site-init.el instead):

(autoload 'Gnews "gnews/gnews-site" "Usenet newsreader" t)

Then, when you type M-x Gnews, you will be in Gnews simple as pie.  By
default it looks much like rn, so the novice user should be able to
adapt to it rather quickly.

That should be enough to get started.  Please let me know if I can be
of more specific help.

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu     | radiation: smog with an attitude       |
UUCP: ucbvax!ucivax!nagel   |                                        |

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (06/17/89)

In article <18052@paris.ics.uci.edu> nagel@paris.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) writes:
   If you do not have Gnews 2.0, you should get it via anonymous ftp
   to ucbvax.berkeley.edu.

Or, one might hasten to add for the sake of completeness, via
anonymous UUCP from osu-cis.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/20/89)

You need to elect someone who Governs The Source ... it's the only
way to make sure that the sources remain consistent.

--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

nagel@PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU (Mark Nagel) (06/20/89)

    You need to elect someone who Governs The Source ... it's the only
    way to make sure that the sources remain consistent.

Definitely.  As I mentioned earlier, I am willing to fill that
position.  But I don't want to be the only one who decides what gets
added.  Fixes, maybe, but feature additions?  It could blow up...

Mark

interran@interviews.stanford.edu (John Interrante) (06/20/89)

In article <6160.614287122@paris.ics.uci.edu>, nagel@PARIS (Mark Nagel) writes:

>    You need to elect someone who Governs The Source ... it's the only
>    way to make sure that the sources remain consistent.
>
>Definitely.  As I mentioned earlier, I am willing to fill that
>position.  But I don't want to be the only one who decides what gets
>added.  Fixes, maybe, but feature additions?  It could blow up...
>
>Mark

In fact, I would urge for dropping some features from Gnews to make it
smaller and reimplementing some other features to make them faster,
not for adding any new features.

Right now I can think of only one feature that's so slow I never use
it at all.  Remember the prompt Gnews prints after starting up if it
finds new newsgroups?  I never bother typing the command (M-g, I
think) that Gnews tells me to use because I can visit my .gnewsrc.list
and look at the end of it to find out which new newsgroups have been
added *more quickly* than using that command would tell me.

I also wish that Gnews, gnus, and everything else that composes email
messages would invoke a *common* mail mode package (selectable by the
user, of course) rather than reimplementing it themselves.  This would
require standardizing the mail subsystem's elisp interface so users
could change mail mode packages without having to change Gnews, gnus,
etc.

John Interrante <interran@interviews.stanford.edu>

nagel@glacier.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (06/20/89)

In article <3545@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, interran@interviews (John Interrante) writes:

|Right now I can think of only one feature that's so slow I never use
|it at all.  Remember the prompt Gnews prints after starting up if it
|finds new newsgroups?  I never bother typing the command (M-g, I
|think) that Gnews tells me to use because I can visit my .gnewsrc.list
|and look at the end of it to find out which new newsgroups have been
|added *more quickly* than using that command would tell me.

I know what you mean.  A user here asked me to set this up a bit
differently -- she just wanted all new groups added automatically to
the end of her .gnewsrc.  I haven't gotten around to completing it
yet, but will this week (just gotta rewrite news-add...).

|I also wish that Gnews, gnus, and everything else that composes email
|messages would invoke a *common* mail mode package (selectable by the
|user, of course) rather than reimplementing it themselves.  This would
|require standardizing the mail subsystem's elisp interface so users
|could change mail mode packages without having to change Gnews, gnus,
|etc.

Yes, I'd like this too.  It must have gone against Matt's desire to
completely integrate news and mail (see his notes in the manual about
this).  I'd just like to use mh-smail...

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu     | N = 1 implies P = NP                   |
UUCP: ucbvax!ucivax!nagel   |                                        |

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (06/22/89)

In article <6160.614287122@paris.ics.uci.edu>, nagel@PARIS (Mark Nagel) writes:
>Definitely.  As I mentioned earlier, I am willing to fill that
>position.  But I don't want to be the only one who decides what gets
>added.  Fixes, maybe, but feature additions?  It could blow up...

One thing that might be nice is to create a sample emacs file with some of
the features that Weemba discussed in his document.

I am not a emacs hacker, and can barely write 2 lines of elisp, but I
took his examples in the manual and made one large section in
my .emacs file (295 lines long). It is likely filled with things set wrong,
but it does a lot of nice things for me.

Also - a sample .gnewsrc.hook file would be nice, especially
one that displayed the comp.sources.{misc,unix,sun,x} sources without the
From field. I tried to do this, but the index always shows the same
poster, and truncates the subject line.

I have the old gnews 2.0 and am getting the new one as we speak.

This is what I have, and it doesn't work right.
   ("comp.sources.(unix|games|misc)"
    (pre nil gnews-set (quote index-headers) "Subject")
    (pre nil gnews-set (quote index-format) "%s")
    (pre nil gnews-set (quote index-filter) (quote (identity)))
    (pre nil gnews-set (quote index-sizes) (quote (nil)))
    (pre nil index-if)
    )

I have no idea if I am doing it right.

--