[sub.databases] 4GL's : INGRES Windows 4GL

tore@ifi.uio.no (Tore Solvar Karlsen) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.091534.13377@ctl.co.nz>, mcintoshc@ctl.co.nz writes:
> INGRES WINDOWS-4GL should be a good starting point - it has the best GUI I've
> seen on a major database system - full mouse control, windows, BLOBS (textual
> graphical, scanned images etc). It is fully event driven and _obviously_ SQL
> compliant.

Yes. It looks good, but I've only seen it demonstrated on SUN-4.

Can anyone tell me if INGRES Windows 4GL are ported to other
hardware-platforms such as Decstation? If not, have anyone heard of a release
date ?

A rumour:  INGRES Windows 4GL will not be ported to the SUN-3 platform.
Can someone confirm this rumour?

There must be a lot of sites out there still running SUN-3's who want this
product, or ?

--

Tore Solvar
email: tore@ifi.uio.no

weimer@ssd.kodak.com (Gary Weimer) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.194011.2135@ifi.uio.no> tore@ifi.uio.no (Tore Solvar Karlsen) writes:

>In article <1990Nov15.091534.13377@ctl.co.nz>, mcintoshc@ctl.co.nz writes:
>> INGRES WINDOWS-4GL should be a good starting point - it has the best GUI I've
>> seen on a major database system - full mouse control, windows, BLOBS (textual
>> graphical, scanned images etc). It is fully event driven and _obviously_ SQL
>> compliant.
>
>Yes. It looks good, but I've only seen it demonstrated on SUN-4.
>
>Can anyone tell me if INGRES Windows 4GL are ported to other
>hardware-platforms such as Decstation? If not, have anyone heard of a release
>date ?
>
>A rumour:  INGRES Windows 4GL will not be ported to the SUN-3 platform.
>Can someone confirm this rumour?

As I vaguely remember it:

     Currently available on:
         Sun4
         Decstation (I think)

     Soon available (by year end/early next year):
         Mac
         OS/2

(I may have forgotten others, sorry)

Currently there are no plans to port Sun3 (low perceived demand + Sun
phasing out Sun3's)

Someone who asked a sales rep, but didn't think to write down answer :-(

Gary Weimer

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (11/17/90)

In a recent article, tore@ifi.uio.no (Tore Solvar Karlsen) writes about
Ingres/Windows 4GL:

>Yes. It looks good, but I've only seen it demonstrated on SUN-4.
>
>Can anyone tell me if INGRES Windows 4GL are ported to other
>hardware-platforms such as Decstation? If not, have anyone heard of a release
>date ?

It is ported to the Sun 4 and some other platforms, of which I believe
the DECstation is one. It is being ported, or will be ported, to numerous
otehr platforms as well, including large multiprocessor UNIX boxes,
such as the Encore Multimax.

>A rumour:  INGRES Windows 4GL will not be ported to the SUN-3 platform.
>Can someone confirm this rumour?
>
>There must be a lot of sites out there still running SUN-3's who want this
>product, or ?

Well, the Sun 3 architecture isn't redeveloped further, and there won't
be any more o/s releases for it. Why would any software vendor want
to port new products to it? Note that I'm not nessecarily agreeing
with Sun and/or Ingres here, being a Sun 3 user myself.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se

nbladt@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Norbert Bladt) (11/19/90)

tore@ifi.uio.no (Tore Solvar Karlsen) writes:

>In article <1990Nov15.091534.13377@ctl.co.nz>, mcintoshc@ctl.co.nz writes:
>> INGRES WINDOWS-4GL should be a good starting point - it has the best GUI I've
[ Text about it deleted ]

>Yes. It looks good, but I've only seen it demonstrated on SUN-4.
True, it is looking good (on pictures). See later on.

>Can anyone tell me if INGRES Windows 4GL are ported to other
>hardware-platforms such as Decstation? If not, have anyone heard of a release
>date ?
I have seen it on VAXstations (with VMS :-( and DECWIndows), of course.
It ran very SLOOOOOWLY. Even the created .EXE programs ran slowly.
After the resources were created (on the fly ?!) by reading
the .EXE file they were in memory and they ran faster, of course. So,
using one pop-up (etc.) just once is not a very good idea.

>A rumour:  INGRES Windows 4GL will not be ported to the SUN-3 platform.
>Can someone confirm this rumour?
No idea.

>There must be a lot of sites out there still running SUN-3's who want this
>product, or ?
I think, the sales of this went down much after the SUN-4 arrived, right ?

Norbert.
--
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland
Phone: +41 31 52 92 14