[gnu.bash.bug] correction to mail pipe correction

composer@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jeff Kellem) (06/11/89)

In article <32721@bu-cs.BU.EDU> composer@bu-cs.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) writes:
>In article <17920@bigtex.cactus.org> james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>>/usr/bin/mail isn't exactly universal.  Try /usr/lib/sendmail instead.
>
>Or, it could be replaced with /bin/mail ...

Oops.  Sorry, my mistake.  I forgot.  I had fixed this a while back on
a system here.  It's not /bin/mail.  It would be /usr/ucb/mail (at least
on 4.2BSD, as far as I know), since the data that is piped to the mail
program has some tilde-style commands (i.e. ~s subject..) in it.
Basically, it should be whatever mail program accepts the tilde-commands
on your system.

				-jeff

Jeff Kellem
INTERNET: composer@bu-cs.bu.edu  (or composer%bu-cs.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu)
UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!composer

kent@happym.wa.com (Kent Forschmiedt) (06/15/89)

In article <32741@bu-cs.BU.EDU> composer@bu-cs.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) writes:
> [ where to pipe mail: .../sendmail?  .../mail? ]
>Oops.  Sorry, my mistake.  I forgot.  I had fixed this a while back on
>a system here.  It's not /bin/mail.  It would be /usr/ucb/mail (at least
>on 4.2BSD, as far as I know), since the data that is piped to the mail
>program has some tilde-style commands (i.e. ~s subject..) in it.
>Basically, it should be whatever mail program accepts the tilde-commands
>on your system.

Why use ~s at all?  Why use a UMA for this?  The program should generate
a reasonably RFC-822 conformant message and feed it to /bin/rmail like
any other unassuming, well behaved program.  Rmail is the most universal
mail delivery agent.  Whether it is a link to mail or sendmail or smail
or delivermail or whatever, rmail is present on every machine that
supports uucp mail, which is probably the largest subset of the machines
that have a use for bash.

--
 kent@happym.wa.com, tikal!camco!happym!kent, Happy Man Corp 206-282-9598