[gnu.bash.bug] output from bash not piped properly at startup

andrewt@WATSNEW.WATERLOO.EDU (Andrew Thomas) (06/16/89)

I reported this bug for 0.87, and it is still around in 0.99 so I
thought I'd bring it up again.  I am running on a uVaxII with Ultrix
2.0.

watsnew> bash -norc
bash> set | more
bash> dirs
~
bash> set | more
	:
	:
    all kinds of stuff
	:
	:
bash>

The problem:  If I try to pipe or redirect the output from any
built-in bash command, then I get exactly nothing as the output
(except, maybe, an EOF).  As soon as I do ANY builtin which sends any
amount of output greater than nothing to the TERMINAL, then all pipes
and redirects work properly.

Does anybody else have this problem, or is it something specific to me
(or Ultrix)?

Andrew Thomas
andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu	Systems Design Eng.	University of Waterloo
"If a million people do a stupid thing, it's still a stupid thing." - Opus

bfox@AUREL.CALTECH.EDU (Brian Fox) (06/16/89)

   Date: Thu, 15 Jun 89 16:37:01 EDT
   From: Andrew Thomas <andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu>

[...]

I'm fixing this, although I haven't figured it out exactly.  It is
directly related to readline (); if you start the shell with

	bash -nolineediting -norc

you won't get this problem.

Brian

perf@EFD.LTH.SE (06/18/89)

> The problem:  If I try to pipe or redirect the output from any
> built-in bash command, then I get exactly nothing as the output
> (except, maybe, an EOF).  As soon as I do ANY builtin which sends any
> amount of output greater than nothing to the TERMINAL, then all pipes
> and redirects work properly.

> Does anybody else have this problem, or is it something specific to me
> (or Ultrix)?

I have the same problems sometimes (SunOS4, Bash 0.99). I havn't
figured out what I do to make it happen, but once it has started I
can't make it go away.

I have another problem which may be the same:

Sometimes when I enter a "for"-loop, I get no output.  Then I reenter
the command using the arrow-keys and it works as it should. The output
from the first loop does not show up (as it does in the other problem
above).

	/Per
| Per Foreby -- system manager at School | Email: perf@efd.lth.se            |
|   of Electrical Engineering, Computer  | Snail: Tekniska Hogskolan i Lund, |
|   Science and Engineering Physics,     |    Box 118, S-221 00 LUND, Sweden |
|   Lund Institute of Technology, Sweden | Phone: int + 46 46-10 75 98       |