[net.music] More Interesting Cover Versions

r032@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP ( Sam Rebelsky) (08/09/85)

Just thought I'd mention a few psuedo-punk groups that have done some
  interesting cover versions (from now on called covers).

AGENT ORANGE.  A simply amazing band, they're sort of Surf Music goes
  hardcore.  Their version of "Pipeline" is even more powerful than the
  original, it just pumps along and along.  Their version of "Somebody to
  Love", is different enough from the original that it stands as a piece
  of its own.

The REPLACEMENTS.  This is a fairly fun band, and although none of their
  albums have covers on them (well, I don't think they do), their concerts
  are filled with covers.  Luckily, they've just released a live tape
  (that they took from someone who was taping their show) that really
  shows off their abilities to make almost any song their own.   The
  tape is called "The Shit Hits the Fan."  The songs on it are:

  Side One:  Lawdy Miss Clawdy. Sleeping Nights of Jesus. Lovelines.
    I'll be There.  Sixteen Blue.  Can't Hardly Wait.  I Will Dare.
    Hear You Been to College.
  Side Two:  Saturday Night Special. Iron Man. Misty Mountain Hop.
    Heartbreaker. Can't Get Enough of Your Love. Jailbreak. Breakdown.
    No More the Moon Shines On. Loreena.  Mirror Go Round. Left Here in the
    Dark. Takin' Care of Business. I Will Follow. Jumpin' Jack Flash.
    Radio Free Europe. More Fun in the New World. Let it Be.

  For a band that was initially only a hardcore band, that's a pretty impresive
  list of covers, and while not all of them are great (or more than 10 sec
  long), many are simply amazing.  While this tape is only fairly good, they
  are even wonderful live, and I would reccommend seeing them if you
  can the next time that they tour (and since they play in small clubs,
  you'll have even more fun).  Perhaps, if asked, they might even attempt
  a Kate Bush cover. :-)

TELEVISON.  One of the great New York bands of the 70's (middle-late), they
  had Tom Verlaine (and for a time, Richard Hell).  Once again, the only
  cover versions they do are only on tape, but they are great.  On their
  tape, "The Blow-Up" (or something like that), on ROIR tapes, they do
  simply amazing cover versions of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" and
  "Satisfaction".  They go completely insane on "Satisfaction", putting
  incredible sounds and intensity into and already intense song.

Don't flame my syntax, it's 4:30am.  (flame my opinions if you want to)

--
Sam Rebelsky -- Archivist @ DOC Films - The nation's oldest student film group
UUCP :  ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!r032

hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) (08/09/85)

I once caught an encore Tom Verlaine did in Atlanta at the 688 club
(I was at a Jerry Jeff Walker concert before), where he played
"Marquee Moon" and then a great cover of "Wild Thing."  Good old
foot-stompin' rock and roll (and after "Marquee Moon" too).

Also, if you are ever in Atlanta and the Swimming Pool Q's,
Night Porters, etc. are playing, you have a good chance of hearing
a rocking cover of "Gloria" (as in Van Morrison, not U2), with no
telling who jumping up on stage from other bands who happen to be
in the audience.

Then there is REM who might do anything in concert including
"Moon River."  I have heard them mentioned as the inheritors of
the Grateful Dead tradition.  Who else walks onto stage in their
street clothes?

I also have a tape of Tim Curry ("Rocky Horror") coveing
"Summer in the City" (John Sebastian).

How about Junior Walker and the All-Stars covering "Hot Blooded" (Foreigner).

Of course there is always the Portsmouth Sinfonia Orchestra.

(Did I hear Frank Zappa on the radio doing a commercial for dental floss?)

wjnz@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (James Cooper) (08/10/85)

>From: r032@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP ( Sam Rebelsky)

>The REPLACEMENTS.  This is a fairly fun band, and although none of their
>  albums have covers on them (well, I don't think they do), their concerts
>  are filled with covers...

The Replacements do in fact have a cover on their latest LP "I Will Dare".
It is Black Diamond which was originally done by KISS.  They are a good
band and quite amusing in concert.  Anyway, somemore good covers,

Patti Smith did a bunch.  So You Wanna Be a Rock 'n Roll Star is great,
  but my fave is the pseudo-cover of Land of 1000 Dances on Horses (The song is
  called Horses on the album.)

And how about the CRAMPS' version of the old Sonics' tune Strychnine (sp?)

Also, the Chocolate Watchband did a great version of Let's Talk About Girls, and
Are You Gonna Be There (At the Love-in)?

Finally there is the hard-core band Minor Threat that did a good cover of
(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone.

This is certainly not an all-inclusive list and I don't want to start a flurry
of everyone posting a list of covers they know about.  But I wanted to see
something other than Kate Bush postings.

--
   James Cooper

     ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!wjnz

     "That's when I reach for my revolver..."

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (08/12/85)

In article <960@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> wjnz@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (James Cooper) writes:
>...Also, the Chocolate Watchband did a great version of Let's Talk About Girls,
>and Are You Gonna Be There (At the Love-in)?

I know that the former was originally done by the Tongues of Truth, but was
unaware that the latter is also a cover.  Who originally did it?

AWR