[gnu.bash.bug] Bash Bug in parsing/job control

lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) (07/16/89)

This is bash 1.02 on a Sun3/140 compiled with cc from Sun, in Sunos 4.0

$ make & ; ls
syntax error near `;'

Why????

This is legal in sh and csh.

Also, I was having problems with messages from the shell showing up
in my RMAIL file inside emacs. I put export mailpath="" in my ~/.bashrc
and those problems went way, seems to be a bash/emacs weirdism.

Also

why if on the command line I define a variable

$ TEST_VAR=junk

does it show up in the environment without explicitly being exported?

BTW, a great shell, even if it does have small probs.

--

Frank Kolakowski

|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu                 ||      Lee F. Kolakowski   |
|kolakowski@mscf.med.upenn.             ||	Univ. of Penna.     |
|c/o jes@eniac.seas.upenn.edu		||	Dept of Chemistry   |
|kolakowski@c.chem.upenn.edu		||	231 South 34th St.  |
|bcooperman.kolakowski@bionet-20.arpa	||	Phila, PA 19104     |
|AT&T:	1-215-898-2927			||--------------------------|
|#include <litigate.h>			||      One-Liner Here!     |

chet@kiwi.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (07/20/89)

Lee Kolakowski writes:

>This is bash 1.02 on a Sun3/140 compiled with cc from Sun, in Sunos 4.0

>$ make & ; ls
>syntax error near `;'
>
>Why????

Because it is not allowed by the grammar in parse.y.  I don't know where the
grammar came from; it might have been a result of the POSIX 1003.2 work
(remember, bash is an implementation of the POSIX shell spec).

>$ TEST_VAR=junk
>
>does it show up in the environment without explicitly being exported?

This is bash 1.02 running on an IBM-RT running 4.3 BSD (the same behavior
is observed on a Vax running Ultrix 3.0 and a Sun running SunOS 3.5):

cwns5$ TEST=dhdh
cwns5$ echo $TEST
dhdh
cwns5$ printenv | grep TEST
cwns5$

This doesn't look like it shows up in the environment to me...

Chet Ramey

Chet Ramey			"We are preparing to think about contemplating
Network Services Group, CWRU	 preliminary work on plans to develop a
chet@cwjcc.INS.CWRU.Edu		 schedule for producing the 10th Edition of
				 the Unix Programmers Manual." -- Andrew Hume