bfox@AUREL.CALTECH.EDU (Brian Fox) (07/25/89)

   Date: 24 Jul 89 22:05:32 GMT
   From: rsalz@bbn.com  (Rich Salz)
   Sender: bug-bash-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

   The "type" command knows about -type and -path.  Apparently -n is a
   synonym for -path.  It would be more Unix'y and consistant with declare if
   we had -t and -p, respectively.  The changes in builtins.c type_builtin()
   are obvious.
	   /rich $alz
   --
   Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
   Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

-type and -path are more GNU'y.  Isn't that the operating system that
this shell is being written for?

I wish you people would complain that you can't use completion to type
these arguments instead of telling me that the argument names are too
descriptive.

Brian

brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca (Brian Glendenning) (07/26/89)

In article <8907251540.AA24308@aurel.caltech.edu> bfox@AUREL.CALTECH.EDU (Brian Fox) writes:

   I wish you people would complain that you can't use completion to type
   [...]

Well, since you're soliciting wish lists :-) I wish that bash filename
completion would try the elements of CDPATH if it didn't have any luck
starting from the current working directory.

--
	  Brian Glendenning - Radio astronomy, University of Toronto
brian@radio.astro.utoronto.ca uunet!utai!radio!brian  glendenn@utorphys.bitnet

mackenzi@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (David MacKenzie) (07/26/89)

In article <8907251540.AA24308@aurel.caltech.edu> bfox@aurel.caltech.edu writes:
>-type and -path are more GNU'y.  Isn't that the operating system that
>this shell is being written for?

Judging by the GNU getopt(), '+type' and '+path' are more GNU'y; few
GNU programs use multiple-character switch names preceeded by a dash
(gcc is one).
--
David MacKenzie
mackenzi@thor.stolaf.edu or edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu

andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) (07/27/89)

   In article <8907251540.AA24308@aurel.caltech.edu> bfox@aurel.caltech.edu writes:
   >-type and -path are more GNU'y.  Isn't that the operating system that
   >this shell is being written for?

Why shouldn't bash accept both -type and -t?  How about having the
first character in a multi-character switch act the same as the whole
word?  This would seem to satisfy everybody.  I personally support any
addition that reduces the amount of typing I have to do.
--

Andrew Thomas
andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu	Systems Design Eng.	University of Waterloo