[gnu.bash.bug] suggestion: >>&

jjd@BBN.COM (James J Dempsey) (08/11/89)

I like that you can do >& (or &>) in bash as a shorthand to send
stdout and stderr to a file.  It would be nice if >>& worked to append
stdout and stderr to a file.  I suppose to be consistent, you should
also add &>>, but I wouldn't mind only one form of the >& >>&
shorthands.

		--Jim--

arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC}) (08/11/89)

In article <8908101933.AA04226@life.ai.mit.edu> jjd@BBN.COM (James J Dempsey) writes:
>I like that you can do >& (or &>) in bash as a shorthand to send
>stdout and stderr to a file.  It would be nice if >>& worked to append
>stdout and stderr to a file.  I suppose to be consistent, you should
>also add &>>, but I wouldn't mind only one form of the >& >>& shorthands.

Since BASH is supposed to be Bourne shell compatible

	program >> file 2>&1

will do the trick.  No real need to add yet another syntax.
--
Arnold Robbins -- Emory University Computing Center | Laundry increases
DOMAIN: arnold@unix.cc.emory.edu		    | exponentially in the