[gnu.bash.bug] 1.03 teething pains

jjd@alexander.bbn.com (James J Dempsey) (09/07/89)

Some of these may be bugs, others may just be changes in the way bash
works since the last version.

My environment: SPARCstation, Sun OS 4.0.3c, gcc 1.35, yacc

1. If I had a user named brianfox on my machine in 1.02 I could type
~brianf<tab> and bash would complete with ~brianfox/ with my cursor
right after the '/'.  Under 1.03, typing ~brianf<tab> results in bash
completing ~brianfox with no slash and my cursor after a space after
the 'x'.

2. Bash 1.03 seems to execute .bash_profile on an rsh when 1.02 only
did .bashrc.

3. The automatic version numbering program (newversion.aux) didn't
work right for me.  I compiled bash on Ultrix 3.0, Sun OS 4.0.3 and
Sun OS 4.0.3c and in each case $BASH_VERSION ended up being 0.00.x
where x is a number between 1 and 5.  Also, the distributed version.h
had DISTVERSION set to 1.13, not 1.03.

4. 1.03 sometimes drops or misorders (!) the first few characters I
type just after I switch into an xterm window running bash 1.03.  This
didn't happen in 1.02.

Thanks for 1.03 -- I'm glad we won't be seeing any more "^D dumps
core" messages!

		--Jim Dempsey--
		BBN Communications
		jjd@bbn.com (ARPA Internet)
                ..!{decvax, harvard, wjh12, linus}!bbn!jjd

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (09/07/89)

/ gnu.bash.bug / jjd@alexander.bbn.com (James J Dempsey) / Sep  6, 1989 /
> 1.03 sometimes drops or misorders (!) the first few characters I
> type just after I switch into an xterm window running bash 1.03.  This
> didn't happen in 1.02.

Interesting.  It's also happening on the NeXT -- I never saw characters get
misordered, but one or two characters from the first three (sometimes the
first and the third) get dropped.  This happens not only while switching
windows: going back to a key window running bash after it's been idle for a
while (and probably got swapped out to make room for background processes)
does it.  Almost every time.

> Under 1.03, typing ~brianf<tab> results in bash
> completing ~brianfox with no slash and my cursor after a space after
> the 'x'.

On NeXT, too.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore	Jacob@Gore.Com		{nucsrl,boulder}!gore!jacob

bfox@AUREL.CALTECH.EDU (Brian Fox) (09/08/89)

   Date: 7 Sep 89 06:01:00 GMT
   From: gore!jacob@boulder.colorado.edu  (Jacob Gore)
   Sender: bug-bash-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

   / gnu.bash.bug / jjd@alexander.bbn.com (James J Dempsey) / Sep  6, 1989 /
   > 1.03 sometimes drops or misorders (!) the first few characters I
   > type just after I switch into an xterm window running bash 1.03.  This
   > didn't happen in 1.02.

   Interesting.  It's also happening on the NeXT -- I never saw characters get
   misordered, but one or two characters from the first three (sometimes the
   first and the third) get dropped.  This happens not only while switching
   windows: going back to a key window running bash after it's been idle for a
   while (and probably got swapped out to make room for background processes)
   does it.  Almost every time.

   > Under 1.03, typing ~brianf<tab> results in bash
   > completing ~brianfox with no slash and my cursor after a space after
   > the 'x'.

   On NeXT, too.

   Jacob
   --
   Jacob Gore	Jacob@Gore.Com		{nucsrl,boulder}!gore!jacob

I'm sorry that this bug appeared in 1.03.  I will be posting patches for
this and a few other fixed bugs on Friday, Sep 8.

Thanks for being patient.

Brian

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/08/89)

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:

>/ gnu.bash.bug / jjd@alexander.bbn.com (James J Dempsey) / Sep  6, 1989 /
>> 1.03 sometimes drops or misorders (!) the first few characters I
>> type just after I switch into an xterm window running bash 1.03.  This
>> didn't happen in 1.02.

>Interesting.  It's also happening on the NeXT -- I never saw characters get

The same thing goes for Xenix 386.  I thought it was a flaky keyboard until
I realized that it wasn't happening for /bin/sh.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.