[gnu.bash.bug] Bug report/wishlist

lupton@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Robert Lupton) (09/12/89)

This is for version 1.03, running on a vax running ultrix something or
other.

Bugs:

  Recursive cd's crash bash:
	cd () { cd . }

Desired Features:
(first 2 based on my experience with writing history editors:)

  Make a !string history reference expand on whitespace (Or at least
on TAB), so it can then be edited -- i.e. !ccTAB would expand to
 cc foo.c bar.c
with the cursor at the end of the line

  A way to specify that a command NOT appear on the history -- e.g.
I don't want all those fg's. I have a command (macro actually) called
del1 in my system, so `del1 ; fg' isn't saved.

  A qualifier on \t in prompt (e.g.) to specify precision would be
nice, I don't care about seconds and they clutter my screen with a
long prompt

  File completion should ignore some files, (e.g. ~ .o) -- a variable?
Sun OS can do this sort of, for .o but not *~.

  BASH seems picky about white space -- is this the way that the lex
analysis is done?

		Robert

bfox@aurel.caltech.edu (Brian Fox) (09/12/89)

   Date: 11 Sep 89 21:27:17 GMT
   From: uhccux!lupton@ames.arc.nasa.gov  (Robert Lupton)
   Sender: bug-bash-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

   This is for version 1.03, running on a vax running ultrix something or
   other.

   Bugs:

     Recursive cd's crash bash:
	   cd () { cd . }

This is not a bug.  If you wish to use the builtin version of cd in a
function called cd, then do this:

	cd () { builtin cd $*; }

   Desired Features:
   (first 2 based on my experience with writing history editors:)

     Make a !string history reference expand on whitespace (Or at least
   on TAB), so it can then be edited -- i.e. !ccTAB would expand to
    cc foo.c bar.c
   with the cursor at the end of the line

M-C-e (shell-expand-line) does this and more.

     A way to specify that a command NOT appear on the history -- e.g.
   I don't want all those fg's. I have a command (macro actually) called
   del1 in my system, so `del1 ; fg' isn't saved.

Maybe a shell variable which contains a space separated list of words to
ignore (history wise) if they appear at the beginning of a line?

     A qualifier on \t in prompt (e.g.) to specify precision would be
   nice, I don't care about seconds and they clutter my screen with a
   long prompt.

No qualifiers, but I am willing to shorten or lengthen the value that \t
prints in the prompt.  Since variables are expanded in the prompt
string, and a command can be executed before each prompt
(PROMPT_COMMAND), you can have anything you would like in the prompt.
The \t was a quick convenience that I saw no reason to remove.

     File completion should ignore some files, (e.g. ~ .o) -- a variable?
   Sun OS can do this sort of, for .o but not *~.

This will happen, I just haven't placed into the release code yet.

     BASH seems picky about white space -- is this the way that the lex
   analysis is done?

Please expand on this.  In what way is bash picky?

Brian

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (09/12/89)

In <8909112359.AA16831@aurel.caltech.edu> bfox@aurel.caltech.edu writes:
>Maybe a shell variable which contains a space separated list of words to
>ignore (history wise) if they appear at the beginning of a line?
It should probably be a colon-separated list.  Another option might be to
not put a command on the history list if it's less than HISTORY_MIN
characters long.

>     File completion should ignore some files, (e.g. ~ .o) -- a variable?
>This will happen, I just haven't placed into the release code yet.
I'd like to see a colon-separated list of glob patterns to ignore, as
in "EXPAND_IGNORE=*.o:*.BAK:*~:core"
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.