[gnu.bash.bug] Bash 1.04 echo nit

dce@sony.com (David Elliott) (11/11/89)

Echo is still not quite right.  According to the description in
the code, the only special options to echo are "-e" and "-n",
but I executed echo -, and got a blank line.

--
David Elliott
dce@sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

dce@sony.com (David Elliott) (11/15/89)

In article <1989Nov10.231921.6199@sony.com> dce@icky.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>Echo is still not quite right.  According to the description in
>the code, the only special options to echo are "-e" and "-n",
>but I executed echo -, and got a blank line.

I seem to have confused some people on this issue.  I meant that
I executed the command

	echo -

not that I executed the command

	echo -,

The latter works fine.

I do have a question on this matter.  Assume that I have the
statement

	echo "$var"

How can I assure myself that the contents of "$var" will be
printed exactly, even if it is "-e" or "-n".