[gnu.bash.bug] Bind patch errors - free dumps core

andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) (11/14/89)

Regarding the patches posted recently for bind, I have some
complaints.  any attempt to rebind a macro, either to nil or to a
different key string results in a core dump due to free being called
on an invalid pointer and a message to bfox, which I am sure he does
not want to see.  Any information on how to fix this would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
--

Andrew Thomas
andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu	Systems Design Eng.	University of Waterloo

night@pawl.rpi.edu (Trip Martin) (11/15/89)

In <ANDREWT.89Nov13123127@watsnew.waterloo.edu> andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) writes:

>Regarding the patches posted recently for bind, I have some
>complaints.  any attempt to rebind a macro, either to nil or to a
>different key string results in a core dump due to free being called
>on an invalid pointer and a message to bfox, which I am sure he does
>not want to see.  Any information on how to fix this would be
>appreciated.

Those patches were not meant to be posted.  I was replying to Brian,
and didn't notice the cc to gnu-bash-bug.  My apologies for any problems
it may cause.  I'll be more careful in the future.

I'll look into the bug though.  Also, you can't do a macro bind to nil.
It should give you an error for that.  If you want to disable a key, do
a function bind to nil (i.e. no "macro" keyword).

--
Trip Martin  KA2LIV       night@pawl.rpi.edu
Finite state machinist    night@uruguay.acm.rpi.edu

bfox@AUREL.CNS.CALTECH.EDU (Brian Fox) (11/15/89)

   Date: 14 Nov 89 16:20:36 GMT
   From: rpi!night@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu  (Trip Martin)
   Sender: bug-bash-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

   In <ANDREWT.89Nov13123127@watsnew.waterloo.edu> andrewt@watsnew.waterloo.edu (Andrew Thomas) writes:

   >Regarding the patches posted recently for bind, I have some
   >complaints.  any attempt to rebind a macro, either to nil or to a
   >different key string results in a core dump due to free being called
   >on an invalid pointer and a message to bfox, which I am sure he does
   >not want to see.  Any information on how to fix this would be
   >appreciated.

   Those patches were not meant to be posted.  I was replying to Brian,
   and didn't notice the cc to gnu-bash-bug.  My apologies for any problems
   it may cause.  I'll be more careful in the future.

   I'll look into the bug though.  Also, you can't do a macro bind to nil.
   It should give you an error for that.  If you want to disable a key, do
   a function bind to nil (i.e. no "macro" keyword).

When fully implemented, it won't give an error binding a macro to nil;
it will make a macro which produces "nil".  You might want to run New
Implementation of Lisp, you know.

Brian