[gnu.bash.bug] Bug report

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (12/18/89)

Maybe this isn't a bug but a misfeature :-)

When I want to cp a file from /usr/spool/uucppublic to another dir:

cp ~uu<tab>

bash 1.03 expands this to:

"cp ~uucp "

please note the space behind the uucp !!!

It should expand it to:

"cp ~uucp/"

Am I right that this is a bug ? This happens only by user expansion.

-Axel
--
fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP
Bang-Europe : ...!{doitcr,gopnbg,tmpmbx}!utower!fischer

bfox@sbphy.ai.mit.edu (Brian Fox) (12/19/89)

   Date: 17 Dec 89 19:42:53 GMT
   From: mcsun!unido!tub!tmpmbx!utower!fischer@uunet.uu.net  (Axel Fischer)
   Sender: bug-bash-request@prep.ai.mit.edu

   Maybe this isn't a bug but a misfeature :-)

   When I want to cp a file from /usr/spool/uucppublic to another dir:

   cp ~uu<tab>

   bash 1.03 expands this to:

   "cp ~uucp " [instead of] "cp ~uucp/"

   Am I right that this is a bug ? This happens only by user expansion.

This doesn't happen to me.  What version are you using?

Brian

fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org (Axel Fischer) (12/20/89)

bfox@sbphy.ai.mit.edu (Brian Fox) writes:

>   When I want to cp a file from /usr/spool/uucppublic to another dir:
>   cp ~uu<tab>
>   bash 1.03 expands this to:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   "cp ~uucp " [instead of] "cp ~uucp/"
>   Am I right that this is a bug ? This happens only by user expansion.

>This doesn't happen to me.  What version are you using?
>Brian

Brian, I use 1.03 ! You know it :-) I have asked you twice if I can get
a copy of 1.04 from you but you havn't answered yet.
By the way - I've stated which version I'm running. (see above)

-Axel
--
fischer@utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer@db0tui6.BITNET / fischer@tmpmbx.UUCP
Bang-Europe : ...!{doitcr,gopnbg,tmpmbx}!utower!fischer
Bang-USA    : ...!uunet!unido!gopnbg!utower!fischer
                                                         Too low for zero ...

kayvan@mrspoc.transact.com (Kayvan Sylvan) (01/12/90)

Bash 1.04.5 on Xenix 2.3.2 running on Everex Step/25 (intel386).

I went to use the "!!:p" history recalling feature.
I have "alias hi=history" in my .bash_aliases.

I also have history_control=ignoredups (which seems to work *after*
the first duplicate entry is entered into the history - Is this
intentional?).

I was doing this from within Emacs (Outside Emacs, the difference
seems to be that the command "!!:p" or "!num:p" is re-echoed at each
prompt).

	bash:529$ : Testing bash history recall
	bash:530$ hi 3
	  528  hi 10
	  529  : Testing bash history recall
	  530  hi 3
	bash:531$ !529:p
	: Testing bash history recall

So far so good. Now I just hist return.

	bash:531$
	: Testing bash history recall
	bash:531$
	: Testing bash history recall
	bash:531$
	: Testing bash history recall
	bash:531$

At this point I hit C-c C-c within Emacs to get the shell to stop
echoing. If I type something in at this point, It would get it appended
to the line that is being echoed. (Outside of Emacs, a simple C-u
clears the line). The history number gets changed now to 535.

	bash:535$ hi 7
	  529  : Testing bash history recall
	  530  hi 3
	  531  : Testing bash history recall
	  532  : Testing bash history recall
	  533  : Testing bash history recall
	  534  : Testing bash history recall
	  535  hi 7
	bash:536$

It seems that the ignoredups variable had no effect in this case.

This whole sequence was somewhat confusing the first time I ran into
it (within Emacs) since there was no indication that the "!529:p" was
still being acted on upon subsequent RET or newlines.

			---Kayvan