[gnu.bash.bug] BASH 1.04 and backgrounded execs

tale@TURING.CS.RPI.EDU (David C Lawrence) (01/23/90)

Ok, so it's pretty dumb to background an exec.  I did it
absent-mindedly.  It consistently gives BASH hissy fits though:

/us9/staff/tale
sirius:tale (1) export DISPLAY=beethoven:0
/us9/staff/tale
sirius:tale (2) exec xterm &
describe_pid: No such pid (23608)!

Tell tale@cs.rpi.edu to fix this someday.
Mailing a bug report...done.
Stopping myself...Connection closed.

The xterm, in this case, started up fine.

This particular BASH is on a Sun4, OS 4.0.3c.  Yes, I saw it says it
is mailing the bug report, but I've seen it happen a couple of times,
have probably had an auto-report mailed to Brian about it everytime,
but haven't seen anything about it, like Brian saying, "Stop doing
that so it will stop sending me reports because you're an idiot!".  I
just thought the rest of you BASH maintainers might like to know about
it.

Dave
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

chet@cwns1.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (01/24/90)

In article <9001230301.AA07613@turing.cs.rpi.edu> tale@TURING.CS.RPI.EDU (David C Lawrence) writes:

>sirius:tale (2) exec xterm &
>describe_pid: No such pid (23608)!

This happens to any builtin started in the background, not just exec.  It's
fixed for the next release.

Chet Ramey
--
Chet Ramey				"Can't you pay a grad student to
Network Services Group			 read the manual for you?"