[gnu.bash.bug] bash -i not interactive

steve@txsil.lonestar.org (Steve McConnel) (02/07/90)

In article <9002050846.AA01171@ccv.fr> pascal@ccvi.ccv.fr (Pascal Meheut)
 writes:
> I'm using bash-1.04 and I think this a wonderful tool.  ...

Ditto.  Finally i don't have to put up with the local MSDOS and VMS fanatics
bragging about their command line editors!

> Now, one question : it seems to me that bash don't suport the -i flag, to
> use it as an interactive shell, but through pipes, for instances. (I'm trying
> to add a shell-mode to Micro-emacs so I need this feature) Is there a good
> reason for this ?
>				Pascal Meheut.
> Mail addresse : pascal@ccv.fr

I found it rather disconcerting when i switched from csh to bash (1.04)
that GNU emacs (18.55) no longer displayed a prompt in "Shell: run" mode.
GNU emacs appears to automatically use the -i option in an attempt to force
"interactive" behavior when firing up the shell ("echo $-" prints "io"),
but bash uses -i for another purpose altogether.  There's a bug in there
somewhere! :-) :-)

Since both sh and csh appear to support the "-i == interactive" flag, perhaps
bash should do so as well for compatibility.  After all, we don't want
those shells to have a capability that bash lacks, do we? :-) :-) :-)
--
Stephen McConnel
Summer Institute of Linguistics  PHONE: 214-709-2418