[soc.feminism] gender/sex

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (07/02/89)

In article <6740@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> bloch%mandrill.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch) writes:
>rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:

>>The crucial
>>step of feminism, one of them at least, was to point out that gender
>>is a purely social construct [...]

>Well, not PURELY social.  Aside, of course, from reproductive
>differences, there are certainly skills at which the average woman is
>significantly (in a chi-squared sense) better or worse than the
>average man, and for some of these there is no evidence to indicate a
>social explanation.  However, there is quite a bit of overlap in the
>curves. [...]

>It's plausible, for example, that for biological reasons women could
>have more "nurturing" (whatever that means) personalities on average
>than men.

Here you're confusing "sex" and "gender". The physiological differences
(organs etc) are what define sex (as in male or female).  Gender, on the
other hand, has been abstracted from its linguistic context to refer to
the social and psychological manifestations of sex, i.e.  masculine and
feminine. This is a major difference, and in my opinion one of the most
significant and far reaching theoretical advances which came from
feminism. In other words, it's much more than semantics. As soon as you
begin to derive social differences from physical ones, you start on the
slippery slope of natural gender. If feminine and masculine are in some
degree natural, eternal, "God given", who's to say how large that degree
is?  If women are "naturally" better at nurturing, aren't they
"naturally" more family-oriented than public-oriented? And if this
family/private orientation is natural and eternal (as it must be if it
derives directly from physiology), why isn't it legitimate to claim that
a woman's (natural) place is in the home?  And so on.  If there really
were natural genders, than feminism would seem to be in big trouble, it
would seem to be flying in the face of the undeniable facts of nature,
which is precisely the most common argument made against it.  But, along
with showing the theoretical difference between sex and gender, feminism
has taken another major step. It has shown that most supposed examples
of natural gender differences have no basis in biology (or Nature) at
all, or at least no demonstrable ones -- that the "naturalness" is
nothing more than an assumption based on the state of things now and in
the recent past; that explanations from biology really are not, in fact,
very "plausible", no matter how common sensical they may seem on the
surface.

There's a whole politics and ideology hiding behind the confusion
between sexual differences and gender differences: that's one of the
lessons I've learned from feminism. I think we want to keep the politics
and ideology in mind as we pursue this discussion.

bloch%mandrill@ucsd.EDU (Steve Bloch) (07/05/89)

rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>Here you're confusing "sex" and "gender". The physiological differences
>(organs etc) are what define sex (as in male or female).  Gender, on the
>other hand, has been abstracted from its linguistic context to refer to
>the social and psychological manifestations of sex, i.e.  masculine and
>feminine.

Just to make sure I've got this... at first glance, this looks as
though you're DEFINING "gender" to be whatever isn't natural and
eternal, and then making a big deal about the fact that gender isn't
natural and eternal.  A second look says you're defining "gender" to
be whatever isn't physiological, which isn't quite so circular, but it
brings in the centuries-old problem of to what extent human behaviour
is determined by physiological factors.  (See Gould's _The Mismeasure
of Man_ and somebody's _The Tangled Wing_ for two views.) Can you give
me a clearer picture of where this sex/gender distinction lies?

(By "you're defining..." I don't mean to imply that this whole thing
is the fabrication of one R. Shapiro, only that you're the one telling
it to me at the moment.)

"The above opinions are my own.  But that's just my opinion."
Stephen Bloch

rshapiro@bbn.com (Richard Shapiro) (07/05/89)

In article <6752@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> Steve Bloch <bloch%mandrill.UUCP@ucsd.EDU> writes:
>Just to make sure I've got this... at first glance, this looks as
>though you're DEFINING "gender" to be whatever isn't natural and
>eternal, and then making a big deal about the fact that gender isn't
>natural and eternal

New definitions are *always* a crucial first step in constructing new
problems (i.e. demonstrating the existance of previously unrecognized
problems) or new ways of imagining solutions. This is how one goes
about learning to think differently (one way, at least). And in my
experience, the greatest single advance offered by theoretical
feminism is its new way of thinking: its new set of questions and
problems and its new way of imagining solutions. You talk as if the
ideology of gender was old hat, but in fact it was precisely feminism
which brought this to the fore.

So in fact I am merely reminding you what "gender" has come to mean
and suggesting that slipping back into the confusion between sex and
gender implicitly undoes a major theoretical advance which we owe to
feminism. The idea of "gender" is a new way of looking at the
sexuality, one which is at odds with the more straightforward logic of
physical sex. The important point is not that the word "gender" implies
"non-natural" by definition, which is what you seem to be suggesting.
The important point is that "natural" sexual identity has been shown
(by feminism) to be problematic, and that the set of concepts centered
around "gender" are a useful way to deal with those problems.

>Can you give
>me a clearer picture of where this sex/gender distinction lies?

We can designate a person with ovaries and a uterus "female" and a
person with testicles "male" and by this means completely partition
the human species into two exclusive groups. There is no analagous way
in which a person, or a behavior, can be designated "feminine" or
"masculine".  These notions are specific to a social group, an
economic class, a nation, a time etc and are in a continuous process
of change and redefinition. There are no universals whatsoever that
can be called "feminine" or "masculine"; further: the two define, not
a polarity like "male" and "female", but a continuum. So the two sets
of concepts are quite different from one another. As sexed creatures,
we each have a determinate sex (forgetting for now the complications
of physically unclear or altered sex); as gendered subjects, we each
find or make a place for ourselves somewhere in the continuum.

The problem comes when the contingent continuum of gender is mapped
onto the unchanging polarity of sex. For reasons which I can't
explain, this mapping seems to happen by default: "common sense" tells
us that "feminine" is as determinate as "female", that the physical
attributes of femalenss will lead, "naturally", to feminine behavior
(however that happens to be constituted), that a female who finds
herself in the masculine side of the continuum is "perverted" etc etc.
It's easy to see how a society which marks the feminine as inferior
can use a supposedly natural mapping like this to oppress women (i.e.,
it's easy to see *now*, in the aftermath of the theoretical work
already done by feminists). So here we have a conceptual mapping
which would seem to be both unjustified and anti-feminist, a mapping
which only appears within the analysis suggested by the notion of
gender.

Getting back down to earth: the starting point of all of this was
"feminist spirituality", which seemed to me to imply a continuity
between the "feminine" of some ancient society and that of our own
("eternal feminine principles", as someone else put it). The problem I
was raising was how such a "feminine" could exist, except by assuming
exactly the mapping I mention above between female and feminine; and
how (or if) such a mapping can work effectively with feminism.

HUXTABLE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Kathryn Huxtable) (07/06/89)

In article <6752@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>, bloch%mandrill@ucsd.EDU (Steve Bloch) writes:
> rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) writes:
>>Here you're confusing "sex" and "gender". The physiological differences
>>[stuff deleted for brevity --- KAH]
>
> Just to make sure I've got this... at first glance, this looks as
> though you're DEFINING "gender" to be whatever isn't natural and
> eternal, and then making a big deal about the fact that gender isn't
> natural and eternal.  A second look says you're defining "gender" to
> be whatever isn't physiological, which isn't quite so circular, but it
> brings in the centuries-old problem of to what extent human behaviour
> is determined by physiological factors.  (See Gould's _The Mismeasure
> of Man_ and somebody's _The Tangled Wing_ for two views.) Can you give
> me a clearer picture of where this sex/gender distinction lies?

As long as we're dragging in authorities, I thought I'd throw in some
references.  These are from The University of Kansas' online catalog
system.  Our library seems to have not entered most of the relevant
books by John Money, (I know they're on the shelves) so I can't get
his titles from my desk.  Another researcher in this subject (one I
like rather less) is Robert J.  Stoller.  I found three relevant
titles:

    Presentations of Gender, New Haven/Yale University Press, 1985
        RC 560 .G45 S76

    Sex and Gender, New York/Science House, 1968
        RC 557 .S77

    Sex and Gender, v. 2, The Transsexual Experiment,
        New York/J. Aronson, 1975
        RC 557 .S772 vol. 2

The main thing I don't like about Stoller is his treatment of
transsexuallism.  His criteria for deciding whether someone should
have sexual reassignment surgery would have excluded a friend of mine
who was not particularly functional before and is a much happier, more
fulfilled person now.  Other than that, he's fine.  John Money is more
compassionate, though.

Just trying to add more gasoline to the fire....

--
Kathryn Huxtable
huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

bloch%mandrill@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch) (07/10/89)

rshapiro@BBN.COM (Richard Shapiro) responded:
RS>We can designate a person with ovaries and a uterus "female" and a
RS>person with testicles "male" and by this means completely partition
RS>the human species into two exclusive groups. There is no analagous way
RS>in which a person, or a behavior, can be designated "feminine" or
RS>"masculine"....  the two define, not
RS>a polarity like "male" and "female", but a continuum.

OK, I'll grant that, but if there's no absolute, exclusive distinction,
why do we have to categorize things into "feminine" and "masculine" in
the first place?  Why not call the ends of the continuum "snark" and
"boojum" instead?  Why not have three, or fifteen, categories rather
than two?  How solid is the rock on which this "gender theory" is
built?  Or does gender theory include what I just said ?

Aha.  You're objecting to the Transcendental Feminine on grounds that
the meaning of "feminine" is culturally-defined and fluid.  This is
not the circular reasoning of defining a word and then drawing con-
clusions about the real world based on that definition, but rather
observing the existing definition of "feminine" and pointing out that
it IS fluid, and therefore can't possibly refer to something transcen-
dental.  In which case I'm in total agreement, and there's nothing to
argue about.  :-)

"A crystalline set of dominoes / Except not really crystalline;
And sort of domino-like, / But not really." -- Jane Siberry

bloch%cs@ucsd.edu

jjb@cs.wayne.edu (J. Brewster) (07/11/89)

My recent article elicited some e-mail from Richard Shapiro, which
questioned what the Sophia-ists [Richard's term] conceive to be the
goals of feminism and how feminist/feminine spirituality might serve
those ends -- or at least not be at odds with them.   I went back and
reviewed all of the articles in the thread and find that others have
already said much of what I would say, often in a much better way.  In
particular, I would find it difficult to improve on Gretchen Chapman's
reply in <8907011558.AA19050@cattell.psych.upenn.edu>.  Anyway, here's
my $.02...

I can't give an authoritative statement of the goals of feminism.  For
the sake of this discussion, let's assume that the goals are to establish
that gender is socially and not physiologically determined.  I think
that's a fair summary of what Richard says...

This might be a concern if the goddesses were consistently linked to the same
traits, the gods were not, and if these traits were the same as the ones which
we traditionally consider feminine.
Were this the case, I think few would be interested in feminist spirituality!

However, I believe the opposite is true:  there are a lot of goddesses
who embody a variety of traits and roles.  They are active beings who
assume the same roles as gods.  They are creators, avengers,
protectors, you name it.  As such, they cut across conventional gender
lines and promote exactly the goal mentioned above.  Needless to say,
they do not fit our traditional concept of femininity, either.

I also think there's reason to prefer goddesses to some sort of neutral
deity that is genderless, at least for the present.  The reason is that
we don't just get up and walk away from our personal history.  For those
of us raised with the traditional patriarchal religions, adding the
feminine to a very masculine religious tradition makes more sense
(at least, to me) than adding some sort of neutral deity.  That is, our
present set of beliefs already is gendered, and what we want to do is
balance that set of beliefs out.  That I think is much more feasible
that trying to redo everything from the ground up.

I find in my own experience that this process has made a difference in
the way that religion "feels" (much better!) and in the way that it leads
me to view women.  (Who in their right mind would tell Oya that it's her
job to wash the kitchen floor because she's feminine?)
--
J. Brewster               | "In this country, everything loose
jjb@cs.wayne.edu          | rolls to the West Coast."

nelson@berlioz.nsc.com (Ted Nelson) (07/13/89)

In article <12602@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> bloch%mandrill.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch) writes:

>OK, I'll grant that, but if there's no absolute, exclusive distinction,
>why do we have to categorize things into "feminine" and "masculine" in
>the first place?  Why not call the ends of the continuum "snark" and
>"boojum" instead?  Why not have three, or fifteen, categories rather
>than two?  How solid is the rock on which this "gender theory" is
>built?  Or does gender theory include what I just said ?

Are you aware that there are some, albeit only a few (a couple indian and
  a few african), cultures that DO have three genders/sexes.  These mostly
  come about due to the unknown status of some persons when born due to
  undifferentiated genatalia.  BUT there was even another indian one
  (Navahoe?) that has four whereby a physical woman/man can "become" a
  man/woman for all social purposes.

If you are interested, I can look it up.

>"A crystalline set of dominoes / Except not really crystalline;
>And sort of domino-like, / But not really." -- Jane Siberry

"You can't chop down a symmetry." -- Jane Siberry.

-- Ted.

rshapiro@bbn.COM (Richard Shapiro) (07/13/89)

In article <12602@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> bloch%mandrill.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch) writes:
>OK, I'll grant that, but if there's no absolute, exclusive distinction,
>why do we have to categorize things into "feminine" and "masculine" in
>the first place?  Why not call the ends of the continuum "snark" and
>"boojum" instead?  Why not have three, or fifteen, categories rather
>than two?  How solid is the rock on which this "gender theory" is
>built?  Or does gender theory include what I just said ?

We're getting at the crux of things here. I can't tell you why any of
this is as it is, I can only say ("descriptively", as it were) that
this is the situation we seem to be in. Our episteme of behaviors has
one its axes, the gender axis, aligned with the male/female polarity.
There's no intrinsic reason why this should be so, and there's
certainly no reason why any particular distribution of behaviors along
the gender axis is more correct than any other. But given that there
is such an axis, and that there is particular distribution along that
axis (with local variations according to class, ethnicity etc), given,
that is, that we look at the world through gendered eyes, it's not
surprising that there are tendencies for women to be "feminine" and
men to be "masculine" (not surprising, but not tautological either).
There's no point in looking for materialist explanations for this --
that's the wrong level of analysis. Psycho-analytic explanations might
be more helpful, which is presumably why many feminists are
appropriating Freud and Lacan for feminism (there's an interesting new
topic: feminist psychoanalysis). But the important first step, I
think, is simply to recognize where we are, and then perhaps to figure
out how we got here (a genealogy of gender, as Foucault might put it).

The reproduction of gender is a hard problem, too hard for me to offer
any convincing explanations. This would make for another interesting
topic. How is it that gender continues to exist as a social (nb: NOT
individual) phenomenon, even as its particular contents change? How
can we push those changes that do occur in a feminist direction? What
*is* a feminist direction? Can we consider the possibility of undoing
gender altogether? How might we do this? Do we want to do this?  These
are the questions that seem like the important ones to me (some of
them, anyway).