[net.lan] flat ether drop cable

schoff@rpics.UUCP (Martin Lee Schoffstall) (08/28/85)

Does anyone know if there is a flat ethernet drop cable suitable
for putting under a rug?

thanks,

--
marty schoffstall
schoff%rpics.csnet@csnet-relay	ARPA

RPI
Computer Science Department
Troy, NY  12180
(518) 271-2654

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (08/29/85)

In article <175@rpics.UUCP>, schoff@rpics.UUCP (Martin Lee Schoffstall) writes:

> Does anyone know if there is a flat ethernet drop cable suitable
> for putting under a rug?

Marty, there are flat cables for going from an Ethernet I/F to
a transceiver. Is that the cable you mean? These are manufacturer
dependent, but I know they are available from Interlan.

--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding."
	"I like a man who likes to talk."

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (09/10/85)

In article <158@cdstar.UUCP> saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) writes:
>Marty, there are flat cables for going from an Ethernet I/F to
>a transceiver. Is that the cable you mean? These are manufacturer
>dependent, but I know they are available from Interlan.

Note that the length-equivalent factor of the flat cables is 4.  That
is to say that each foot of flat cable is equivalent electrically
to four feet of round cable.  From Interlan's NP100 manual:

	The total board-to-transceiver cabling length is limited to
	165 feet of round transceiver cable.  Remember that the 10
	foot length of internal flat cable is equivalent to 40 feet
	of round transceiver cable.

This implies that one can't use more than 41 feet of flat cable.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."