[soc.feminism] AA / ERA

dgross@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (David Gross) (10/18/89)

Last year, I started a men's issues group at Cal Poly, San Luis
Obispo.  One of our activities this year has been to try to put
together some sort of "MANifesto" about what our group stands for.
Among the planks which I proposed was one in support of the Equal
Rights Amendment.

One of the group members objected to this on the grounds that such an
amendment would codify a huge AA-enforcing, quota-generating
bureaucracy.

I've heard just the opposite: That once the ERA is passed, there will
be no constitutional basis for discriminating on the basis of sex --
even for quotas or affirmative action.

Is there a consensus of legal opinion on this?  When I proposed the
plank, I was more concerned about issues such as the draft rather than
AA, but now this intrigues me...

--dgross@polyslo.calpoly.edu

--
-- Dave Gross (dgross@polyslo.calpoly.edu)
-- "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson

trent@unix.SRI.COM (Ray Trent) (10/21/89)

In the referenced article, David Gross <dgross@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> writes:
>I've heard just the opposite: That once the ERA is passed, there will
>be no constitutional basis for discriminating on the basis of sex --
>even for quotas or affirmative action.
>
>Is there a consensus of legal opinion on this?  When I proposed the
>plank, I was more concerned about issues such as the draft rather than
>AA, but now this intrigues me...

What do *you* think? Did the Civil Rights Act (which amendment
supposedly prohibited discrimination on the basis of race) prevent AA
from coming about? Of course not...it was one of the major
motivational forces (at least to many people's mind).

As for what I'd rather have then AA, how about real enforcement of EEO?
--
"When you're down, it's a long way up
 When you're up, it's a long way down