[soc.feminism] Is Affirmative Action Sexist?

tittle@ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle) (10/21/89)

Affirmative action starts out as the perception that certain
categories of persons are unfairly treated by "society" --
and before anyone reminds me that society consists of
individuals, let me temporarily define it here as the
summation of interactions of individuals in a community.

Such unfairness is thought to be a bad thing, generally by
the objects of it, and often by others who for various
reasons desire that their society be "fair."

However, as one begins to think about the problem, there
are certain taboos.  For instance, one can conclude that,
in a highly competitive society which also maintains rights
of inheritance and other strong familial connnections, it
is almost certain that inequality between categories of
families will persist for many generations.  Thus, the
situation of black persons in America.  However, in thinking
of solutions to the problems of the disadvantaged, one is
not allowed (in practical politics) to suggest that the
structures and traditions of the society be changed very
much.  Most specifically, the power of existing elites may
not be seriously disturbed.

Another important taboo is: substantial expenditures of
public or private funds may not be demanded.

Thus the affirmative action solution: if the figures are wrong
for one disadvantaged group, change the figures, more or less
by force, at the expense of another disadvantaged group.  For
instance, jobs which in the former course of events would
have gone to white ethnic working-class males can be
transferred to black working-class males.  The problem can
then be declared solved, without any substantial change in
the power of those who have power, the structure of the
economy, or anything else except the prospects of one group
whose prospects were already somewhat limited.  In the case
of racial discrimination, this may in fact solve the problem,
because the public image of the formerly discriminated group
as somehow inferior to all others will disappear.  That the
people who paid for the solution were probably those least
able to pay for it can be forgotten.  Whether there should
have been more jobs, or better educational opportunities for
everyone, are questions that can go unanswered and in fact
unasked.

It is admittedly an inelegant solution -- a kludge -- which is
itself unfair.  But there is probably no other solution given
the requirement of avoiding the taboos, which protect a kind of
inherent "unfairness" in the situation as a whole.

The case of affirmative action for women is a little different.
On the one hand, women come from not just one kind of family
but all kinds, so the relative status of families does not
enter into their disadvantage.  The disadvantage seems to
arise rather from the possession of certain traits or "skills"
which may be merely traditional or may stem from biology.  Some
of these  are nurturance, cooperativeness, sensitivity to
others, docility in the original sense (ability to be taught),
affective (as contrasted to cognitive) intelligence.  But these
traits are evidently disadvantageous in a highly competitive
society, at least in concert with each other and with a moral
sensibility.

Thus, the surface fix which may work for racial minorities may
not work for women, because it demands acceptance of an existing
structure of things which some of them may be unwilling, or
unable, to accept.

This brings me around the the question of whether affirmative
action on behalf of women is a form of sexism.  Some people
say that any difference of thought or treatment of another
based on the other's gender, other than in sexual and
reproductive matters, is sexism -- in other words, women are
men whose bodies are shaped somewhat differently, and to think
or act otherwise is to be a sexist.  In this case, affirmative
action is non-sexist, since it assumes all that need be done is
to force a sufficient number of members of arbitrary category W
at the expense of arbitrary category M into various social slots,
such that the statistics are changed to the point of appearing to
balance.[1]  Since the categorization is superficial (under this
theory) a coerced decategorization will remove the possibility
of distinction, and the categories will then merge.

If, on the other hand, women really are different from men in
some essential way (or have developed a side of human nature
which is too valuable to be abandoned just because it is not
sufficiently in accord with dominant values) then affirmative
action may have an objectively sexist aspect, in that it seeks
to incorporate a new category of persons into a system many of
whose values are derived from sexist precursors.  This is not to
say that it should be abandoned under the circumstances, but
that the circumstances themselves should be questioned.  "The
stock market is rising and the acid rain is coming down."

--
[1] The truly pure among the 'equalists' will not be satisfied
with this, because they believe that, statistics to the contrary

gazit@lear.cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (10/22/89)

In article <8910200344.AA29498@uunet.uu.net>  writes:

>However, as one begins to think about the problem, there
>are certain taboos.  For instance, one can conclude that,
>in a highly competitive society which also maintains rights
>of inheritance and other strong familial connnections, it
>is almost certain that inequality between categories of
>families will persist for many generations.

Let's assume that what you say is true (fat chance...) do you
see the main stream of feminism as part of the solution?
If not, how do you see the main stream of feminism?

>much.  Most specifically, the power of existing elites may
>not be seriously disturbed.

The poor Jews who came 60 years ago succeeded in the American society.
The asians refugees who come today seem to have a similar success.
But people who know all the political theory can ignore these facts...

>Thus the affirmative action solution: if the figures are wrong
>for one disadvantaged group, change the figures, more or less
>by force, at the expense of another disadvantaged group.  For

We agree.

>whose prospects were already somewhat limited.  In the case
>of racial discrimination, this may in fact solve the problem,

Did you check the situation in black ghettos 20 years after AA was initiated?

>itself unfair.  But there is probably no other solution given
>the requirement of avoiding the taboos, which protect a kind of
>inherent "unfairness" in the situation as a whole.

Please present your solution, and tell us all what it has to do with feminism.

>Thus, the surface fix which may work for racial minorities may
>not work for women, because it demands acceptance of an existing
>structure of things which some of them may be unwilling, or
>unable, to accept.

Would mind to start writing *clearly*?
How many is "some of them"?  What can't women accept?

>This brings me around the the question of whether affirmative
>action on behalf of women is a form of sexism.  Some people
>say that any difference of thought or treatment of another
>based on the other's gender, other than in sexual and
>reproductive matters, is sexism -- in other words, women are
>men whose bodies are shaped somewhat differently, and to think
>or act otherwise is to be a sexist.  In this case, affirmative
>action is non-sexist, since it assumes all that need be done is

\begin{sarcasm}
Whites are blacks whose skin color is somewhat different.
Therefore discrimination against blacks is not racist.
\end{sarcasm}

Hillel                                         gazit@cs.duke.edu

"People who can't address real issues in any coherent fashion resort to
analogies...and usually incredibly *bad* ones..." ---  Diane Holt

angie@iuvax.cs.indiana.EDU (angela allen) (10/25/89)

I'm not sure if this is going to the right person, but here goes.

THIS IS NOT A FLAME!!! I loved the post (clear, concise,
level-headed... a sinificant contribution to the field. --New York
Times) This is a consciousness-raising effort to change the way ALMOST
EVERYONE speaks about men and women (including me when I'm not paying
attention :-)

In soc.feminism [someone] write[s]:
[I'm not sure which article is being referred to here... --clt]

> in other words, women are
>men whose bodies are shaped somewhat differently, and to think
>or act otherwise is to be a sexist.
   *more stuff here*
>If, on the other hand, women really are different from men in
>some essential way

Please notice that you are defining women in terms of men, retaining
men as the focus, the norm, and the yardstick of all the rest of us.
If this is what you meant, that is your business. If not, I suggest
that next time you might say:

In other words, women and men are merely somewhat differently shaped
bodies...

If, on the other hand, the genders really are different in some
essential way...

Thanks for your post, and thanks for your patience in listening to my
raving about my pet peeve.

--angie

avery@well.uucp (Avery Ray Colter) (10/28/89)

angie@iuvax.cs.indiana.EDU (angela allen) writes:

>Please notice that you are defining women in terms of men, retaining
>men as the focus, the norm, and the yardstick of all the rest of us.
>If this is what you meant, that is your business. If not, I suggest
>that next time you might say:

>In other words, women and men are merely somewhat differently shaped
>bodies...

>If, on the other hand, the genders really are different in some
>essential way...

A thought to ponder........

Is "woman" a linguistic extension of "man"?

Or is "man" a linguistic contraction of "woman"?

Or, does it really matter in the end?

Other than the size of the end that is <ducking>.

--
Avery Ray Colter	(415) 451-7786	  | Now, class, repeat after me:
{apple|ucbvax|pacbell}!well!avery         | ICH LIEBE DIE BELEIBTEN LEIBEN,