[soc.feminism] Can feminists change the language?

hb@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Hank Bovis) (11/09/89)

In article <47878@bbn.COM> Richard Shapiro <rshapiro@BBN.COM> continues:
>There seems to be a lot of confusion on this point. I was drawing an
>ANALOGY between languages and gender systems, which I still think is a
>good one.

I got that point.  And perhaps the analogy is good, but my point was that
you were drawing the wrong conclusions from the analogy.

>Your partial quote obscures this point, but I've re-read the
>original twice now, and I still don't see the source of confusion.

The point of the partial quote was that a change in the language itself
_is_ a change of a sort in the gender system.  And it's a very important
change at that, one which I think warrants a separate thread.

> [...] IF a gender system is like a languge,
>then the kind of change we would need to convert our gender system
>into a non-sexist one is probably similar to the kind of change which
>has taken place in the English language from its inception until the
>present day. A handful of neologisms are a trivial compared to this --
>if anything, such words show how little the language changes as a
>result of conscious effort.

I'm not convinced that this assessment of the degree of change is
accurate, Richard.  Have you seen any studies that support the idea
that recent "neologisms" are trivial compared to all the changes that
have taken place since the "inception" (how do you date that, btw?) of
English?

If anything, I think the rate of change in the language has greatly
accelerated in recent years, as has the pace of technological change.
In fact, this would almost be necessary for language to keep pace with
the new technology it must describe.  And further, that new technology
has made it possible to propagate language changes much faster than
before.

>I was NOT AT ANY TIME talking about language changes brought about by
>feminism. Even if I were, the changes themselves are minor and of
>little significance.

I disagree.

>                      The important aspect of the feminist
>investigation of language is the way it exposes the patriarchal
>assumptions with which we speak, write, and corresondingly, think.

Right, but I would say that language not only exposes, but to some degree
causes, patricarchal assumptions, and thus if we apply your analogy, it
should be possible, in part by changing the language, to change "gender
systems" faster today than ever before.

>Is my position clear now?

Yes, but you used your analogy to argue that change would be slow in
coming, whereas I would use the same analogy to argue that change can be
brought about very rapidly.

hb
--
Hank Bovis (hb@Virginia.EDU, hb@Virginia.BITNET)

** MOBILIZE for Women's Lives on November 12th; details in soc.women. **

era1987@violet.Berkeley.EDU (11/09/89)

In article <1329@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> hb@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Hank Bovis) writes:
>The most obvious example is probably the widespread usage of the term
>"Ms." instead of "Miss" or "Mrs.", but there are numerous other examples
>as well, such as replacing "mailman" with "mail carrier", "fireman" with
>"fire fighter", etc.

I'm not sure that "feminists" changed the language by introducing the
term "Ms."  The term "Ms.," just like the terms "Miss," and "Mrs."  is
a term that is used to denote that a person is female.  There are many
other devices used to denote that a person is female, such as
traditionally feminine names, female clothing, and socialization in
female mannerisms.  Without having been given a female name, wearing
female clothes, learning to speak, walk and act in a female manner,
and being referred to in a gender-specific, non-default way, a person
who is born female might not be readily recognized as such in any and
all situations, and might thereby avoid some types of discrimination.
As Professor Gerder Lerner said in, "The Creation of Patriarchy," in
order to keep an entire class of people permanently oppressed, they
must be made readily identifiable at all times.  That's why slaves
were always required to wear clothing that marked them as slaves and
forbidden to wear clothes that might cause them to be mistaken for
free persons.  That's why Jews and gays in Nazi Germany were required
to wear distinctive patches on their clothes.  It is just too easy to
make a mistake and treat somebody as an equal unless they are
obviously marked out as different.  It is unfortunate that many women
have come to believe that their sex is the same as their
socialization, and that if they didn't have female names, wear female
clothes, and act in a female manner, they simply wouldn't be female.
The FBI and the CIA used to treat feminist groups as subversive.
Gloria Steinem, who did much to popularize the term, "Ms.," had a
boyfriend who was part of the intelligence community.  Whenever women
notice that seperate terms for women are sexist and discriminatory,
somebody suggests that a new term be devised.  No matter how many new,
non-default terms are devised, they all mean that the person referred
to is a non-default, or different person.  Some people prefer to be
special and different, but some prefer equality and wish only to be
included in the default.  Women are human, not a seperate, inferior
species that must be discriminated against on the basis of sex.  There
is absolutely no reason to give females distinctive names, distinctive
clothing, and socialize them to act in what every culture considers to
be inferior ways, other than to discriminate against women on the
basis of sex.  Male is the default in all patriarchal societies, so
you cannot get men to accept a non-default term in referring to
themselves.  Only when women are able to accept the default terms, and
stop insisting upon special and different treatment based upon sex,
will women cease being given special and different (discriminatory)
treatment based upon sex.

--Mark

hb@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Hank Bovis) (11/10/89)

[Included text below is reordered somewhat... hb]

In article <1989Nov7.065815.22895@agate.berkeley.edu> Mark Ethan Smith <era1987@violet.Berkeley.EDU> writes:
>In article <1329@uvaarpa.virginia.edu> hb@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Hank Bovis) writes:
>>The most obvious example is probably the widespread usage of the term
>>"Ms." instead of "Miss" or "Mrs." ...
>
>I'm not sure that "feminists" changed the language by introducing the
>term "Ms." ...
>Gloria Steinem, who did much to popularize the term, "Ms.," had a
>boyfriend who was part of the intelligence community.

Well, I don't really want to get into a debate over Steinem's
credentials as a "feminist".  One could certainly debate the merits of
much of what has gone on in "Ms." magazine in recent years, for
example, but I think that is largely beside the point I was making,
and which you implicitly concede above, that "one" (in this case
Steinem, whether feminist or not) can have a significant impact on the
language.

>The term "Ms.," just like the terms "Miss," and "Mrs."  is
>a term that is used to denote that a person is female. ... Whenever women
>notice that seperate terms for women are sexist and discriminatory,
>somebody suggests that a new term be devised.  No matter how many new,
>non-default terms are devised, they all mean that the person referred
>to is a non-default, or different person.

This depends on the meaning given to the new term and how universally
it is accepted.  For instance, to the extent that "Ms." is used by
both married and single women, it has erased the distinction between
married and single women.  Women that still base their identity on
their husbands still use "Mrs.", so "Ms." still says something about
the mindset of the person claiming it, but I think most people using
"Ms."  would consider such connotations preferable to a label
indicating marital status.

On the other hand, "Ms." was not intended to erase the distinction
between male and female, and obviously it has not done so.  But
gender-neutral pronouns could erase that distinction if widely
accepted.

>Some people prefer to be special and different, but some prefer equality
>and wish only to be included in the default. ...
          ^^^^

I have no problem with that, but I think _changing_ the default
might have a more positive overall effect in the long run.

>Male is the default in all patriarchal societies,

Agreed, but...

>so you cannot get men to accept a non-default term in referring to
>themselves.

I disagree with this.  I think men will accept a (temporarily)
non-default term if it is presented the right way.

>Only when women are able to accept the default terms ...
>will women cease being given special and different (discriminatory)
>treatment based upon sex.

But again, why is this the "only" way?  Why must women "accept" the
current defaults?  This argument seems a bit self-defeating to me, in
that it presumes that women (and men) do not have the power to effect
systemic change, but must instead settle for a better adaptation to the
existing system.

I say again, change _is_ possible and _change_ is the preferred course.

hb
--
Hank Bovis (hb@Virginia.EDU, hb@Virginia.BITNET)

** MOBILIZE for Women's Lives on November 12th; details in soc.women. **

holstege@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Mary Holstege) (11/16/89)

This is veering a bit from soc.feminism, but as a sometime linguist I
feel compelled to make a few comments.

First, one must distinguish between vocabulary change and grammatical change.

Recently English has been grabbing new vocabulary to describe new
technology fairly quickly.  It is difficult to say whether this is at
a greater rate than previously: English has always been welcoming of
foreign terms and there have been bursts of vocabulary associated with
the colonization era (local languages), the enlightenment (greek and
latin), and if you want to consider it the same language, the invasion
of England by a bunch of French speakers.

On the other hand, there has been little change in the grammar of
English in the last few hundred years.  I can't think of too many.
Even the much-maligned use of 'they' as a singular pronoun goes back
to Chaucer, at least in such constructions as 'If anyone says that,
they are fools.'  Modern English, especially on the west coast, is
slightly more accepting of 'they' for other constructions than with
'anyone' or 'someone' than in the past, that's all.  Another slight
change in this area is the hypercorrective reaction of using 'he'
where 'she' or 'one' would have been used previously: 'When a patient
goes into labor, he should be made as comfortable as possible.' or 'If
one is not careful, he looks like a moron.'  Both of these are
generally regarded as 'incorrect'.  (The latter is more acceptable to
US speakers, who tend not to use 'one' very much and so have weaker
intuitions about it.)

How has feminism changed the language?  Some of the increased
acceptance of 'they' is probably due to feminist sensibilities, I
would say, and the loss of such horrid terms as 'authoress',
'aviatrix', and 'poetess'.  It's fairly minor.

                              -- Mary
                                 Holstege@cs.stanford.edu

ARPA:                            holstege%cs@score.stanford.edu
BITNET:                          holstege%cs@STANFORD.BITNET
UUCP: {arpa gateways, decwrl, sun, hplabs, rutgers}!cs.stanford.edu!holstege