[soc.feminism] Mailing Lists

xrarp@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Aliza R. Panitz) (07/03/90)

In article <76826@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, NETOPRWA@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu (Wayne Aiken) writes...
>Among the many cause organizations that solicit me to join/contribute is one
>called The Feminist Majority, headed by an Ellie Smeal.  Does anyone know if
>this is a real/legitimate organization?  The name is the same misspelling as
>NOW uses, so either this organization got it from NOW or their supplier.

>[I don't see any misspelling.  I assume Ellie Smeal knows how to spell her
>own name.    I believe the correct name for the organization is, however,
>The Fund for a Feminist Majority.                                   -MHN]

I believe Mr. Aiken was referring to *his* name being misspelled on the
mailing label.  A misspelled name will propagate across many mailing lists
as it is sold and re-sold.  In many cases the variants of a misspelled name
will re-merge, so that I get four copies of some solicitations, each with
a slightly different spelling of my name.

(Off the topic, but I wanted to clear it up...)

- - - -
Aliza R. Panitz                                 Obligatory Wasted Bandwidth
xrarp@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov