[soc.feminism] Comparing Men's and Women's Wages

morning@mountains.Eng.Sun.COM (Cristina Ungstad) (06/27/90)

In article <2317@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> xrarp@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>In a conversation the other day someone made an important observation:
>Part of the reason that women's wages tend to be lower than men's is that
>women do not bargain as aggressively as men do.

I've heard that within the same job category women actually tend to make
more money than men. Has anyone heard anything like this or is it my
imagination? I don't know what the reason would be, over-qualification,
or maybe some positive reason. Any insights?

Cristina

P.S. I've been reading the discussion of "Off Our Backs", violence, etc.,
and I think the people contributing to it are uncommonly intelligent,
literate and sensitive. Seems like this is an alias where you can see
the best in people, even when they're discussing the worst.

teedclo@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (CARI LODER) (07/03/90)

>We have all observed how many women are trained by society to be easily
>squelched by men.  (It is easy to translate gender into ethnicity.)

Well said! I have found it a particular problem. I do not find it
difficult to assert myself and therefore have no trouble in asking
for, and getting, what I deserve (whether it be a raise, better
conditions etc).  However, although this is OK when dealing with
men, I have immense trouble with women.  The difficulty takes two
forms:  1)  Women who have difficulty asserting themselves find
            me intimidating ;
        2)  Older women consider that "younger" women should not
           be assertive and subsequently try to "put me in my place".

I have yet to find a way round this problem.  Anyone got any ideas?
--
Cari Loder:   Janet: teedclo@uk.ac.lon.educ.isis
Centre for Higher Education Studies , Institute of Education