[soc.feminism] Bring On the Dancing Girls...

wdstarr@athena.mit.EDU (William December Starr) (07/03/90)

The following article appeared on page 35 (section 1, part 2) of the
Sunday 1 July 1990 New York Times:

    MINNEAPOLIS -- The University of Minnesota has banned its dance
line from men's athletic events because the performances "sexually
stereotyped" them.  The women said they should decide that for
themselves.

    The university told the dancers in the group, which has performed
since 1971, that they were perceived as objects and that their
performances projected an inappropriate image of their school.

    Although the line will remain a student organization, it will have
to reorganize before performing again, the vice president for external
relations, Richard Heydinger, said last week.

    "We must balance the right of individuals to perform," he added.
"But we must also represent institutional values.  We're uncomfortable
having women dance at men's athletic events.  We've had complaints
that it is unidimensional and stereotypes women."

    Mr. Heydinger, who said he was "the gatekeeper of the university's
image," said he made his decision after talking with 20 administrators
and others, three-quarters of them women.

    The dancers greeted the announcement with "shock, anger and
sadness," the coach, Andrea Lilleberg, said.  "We feel we're
intelligent enough women to know when we're considered objects."

    The dancers said they planned to fight the decision by polling
sports fans or meeting with the Board of Regents, said Jennifer
Bennett, a co-captain of the line and a senior finance major from Red
Lake.

    "Every other dance line in the nation needs to be concerned about
this, because what we're doing is not unique," Miss Bennett said.  "If
Mr. Heydinger is right, then that would mean any other dance line is
wrong."

    Mr. Heydinger did not comment on the choreography or costumes, but
said adding men might help the group's image.

    For five years, the line has been part of the men's athletic
department, which paid part of its budget.  Last year, the department
spent $9,300 for the line, which had total expenses of $12,000.
Dancers made up the difference by appearing at dance clinics.  Without
university sponsorship, the line will finance itself, as it did before
the department adopted it.

    The men's athletic director, Richard Bay, said he agreed with Mr.
Heydinger.  The dancers, however, will still be permitted to perform
at women's athletic events.

    Last spring at the University of Illinois a panel on sexual
violence said the dance line should be eliminated because it portrayed
sexual stereotypes.
--
William December Starr <wdstarr@athena.mit.edu>

    "I cannot and will not cut my
     conscience to fit this year's fashions."

            -- Lillian Hellman, letter to the House
               Un-American Activities Committee, May 19, 1952.

wdstarr@athena.mit.EDU (William December Starr) writes:
>The following article appeared on page 35 (section 1, part 2) of the
>Sunday 1 July 1990 New York Times:
[...]
>    MINNEAPOLIS -- The University of Minnesota has banned its dance
>line from men's athletic events because the performances "sexually
>stereotyped" them.  The women said they should decide that for
>themselves.
[...]
>    The dancers greeted the announcement with "shock, anger and
>sadness," the coach, Andrea Lilleberg, said.  "We feel we're
>intelligent enough women to know when we're considered objects."
[...]
>    For five years, the line has been part of the men's athletic
>department, which paid part of its budget.  Last year, the department
>spent $9,300 for the line, which had total expenses of $12,000.
>Dancers made up the difference by appearing at dance clinics.  Without
>university sponsorship, the line will finance itself, as it did before
>the department adopted it.

Haven't we seen this before?

A dance line needing an audience to appreciate their work, and glad to
perform before an audience where that performance gains them financial
support as well, support not offered by the other performances, is told:
"We won't allow you to do this, because _we_know_ you are suffering
exploitation, even if you do not."

And the group suffers and dies to suit the perceptions of others who
may never have experienced the exhileration of an audience screaming
their appreciation, who have never suffered repeated rejection trying
to find a place to perform, who have never suffered financial distress
trying to keep a marginal arts group going.

The analogy to the "exploitation" claim from $150K per year rising
women executives about the girly magazine layouts that pay a $6000
a year secretary three years' wages for two or three days work is
pretty direct.

"Exploitation" is pretty easy to pronounce when you're not hungry.

Bleah.

I think I'll go join C.O.Y.O.T.E.

Kent, the man from xanth.
In times of crisis you can always depend on that lass to reveal hidden
depths of indifference.  -- Andy Capp