[soc.feminism] Custody Awards and Sex Roles

woody@mcnc.ORG (07/31/90)

One of the themes of feminism, as I understand it, has been an effort
to dispel the notion of woman as caregiver and man as breadwinner in
the family unit.  The increased role of women as breadwinners and of
men as caregivers in recent years, such as they are, seem to be
considered good things by the people involved in the movement.

I had always considered that as the role of women in the economic
world increased, we would see a coincident increase in custody awards
to men as a reflection of the equalization of their roles.  I also
expected the (expected) rise in single-father households, which ought
to be analagous to single-mother households, to be considered a good
thing by the feminist movement as a whole.

However, in recent months, as I have (sadly) been given the chance to
see the system in action first-hand, I am being given the chance to
see the deeply-ingrained sexism of our culture first hand.  It seems
that the vast majority of custody decisions reinforce the notion of
woman as caregiver and man as breadwinner.

While I am not surprised that the courts are still basing their
custody decisions on gender above all other factors, I am surprised
that efforts to even the playing field in this area are being resisted
by many women who consider themselves feminists.

Perhaps I was naive, but I used to expecte feminists to encourage a
gender-neutral stance by the courts in custody, as a natual result of
the equalization of male and female roles in society.  The resistance
I've seen has served to disillusion me greatly about the feminist
movement.  Must I consider feminists to be my enemy, if I wish to
advocate remedies to the sexist awarding of custody and visitation?

I realize that there are many sub-factions to your movement.  I
imagine there are women who feel either way.  Before my
disillusionment of the feminist movement is complete, I'd like to hear
some thoughts from the readers of this group on this subject.  Why is
it that it is alright for courts to consider women caregivers and men
breadwinners when it comes to custody and support awards?  Or is it?
Do you not see this pattern of awards as reinforcing the very notions
feminism seeks to dispel?

Woody Muller
woody@wolves.uucp

bweiss@cs.arizona.edu (Beth Weiss) (08/01/90)

In article <9007290927.AA26920@wolves.UUCP> wolves.uucp!woody@mcnc.ORG writes:
>Why is it that it is alright for courts to consider women caregivers and men
>breadwinners when it comes to custody and support awards?  Or is it?
>Do you not see this pattern of awards as reinforcing the very notions
>feminism seeks to dispel?

I don't think it is all right for courts to consider women caregivers
and men breadwinners when it comes to custody and support awards.  I
have trouble understanding how any rational person _could_ think it is
right.

Unfortunately, while the articles I've read in various magazines
indicate that joint custody is becoming more common, all of the
anecdotes I've read on the net show that specific men are not
finding that to be true.

I would think that it would be illegal discrimination for a judge to
base custody solely on sex; are other reasons being given?  Perhaps
those can be addressed.

--beth
bweiss@cs.arizona.edu