[soc.feminism] Am I a feminist?

xrarp@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Aliza R. Panitz) (08/11/90)

All of this talk about "who is a feminist" has gotten me thinking.
I do not consider myself a feminist.  I consider most self-described
"feminists" to be misguided radical extremists.

But consider...
a)  I am a scientific programmer.  I took a high dose of math/science
    in high school, and then bounced through several "techie" majors
    in college.
b)  I got my job in open, fair competition with all other applicants.
    My project manager is female, and there are several female
    mid-level managers.
c)  I vote.  Some of my elected representatives are female.
d)  I have credit cards and a mortgage in my own name, gotten on the
    strength of my own record.
e)  [I could go on, but I think my point is clear.]

I TAKE ALL OF THESE THINGS FOR GRANTED.  These things are right, it
is the way things "should" be, and although I know that until
recently it was not so, I lack a certain basic appreciation for the
struggles of the generations of feminists who won these rights for
me.  I know that many wrongs have not yet been righted, but I'm
content with the status quo.

I've heard my position described as "post-feminist."   I know from
history that most revolutions fall apart when concessions are made
that satisfy the moderates and alienate the radicals.  I'm a
satisfied moderate.  Am I typical of the younger generation???

- - - -
Aliza R. Panitz                                 Obligatory Wasted Bandwidth
xrarp@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

gazit%oberon.usc.edu@usc.edu (Hillel) (08/15/90)

In article <3081@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> xrarp@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>I know from
>history that most revolutions fall apart when concessions are made
>that satisfy the moderates and alienate the radicals.

I learned the opposite in my history classes.

The French Revolution and the Russian Revolution are good examples
for what happens when the radicals have their way.

Can you point out some historical examples for your claim?