[soc.feminism] Ms Magazine is back

kw@mvp03.att.com (Kathleen M Wilber) (08/01/90)

Ms. magazine has restarted publication in a bi-monthly
advertisement-free format.  I've received the first issue,
and can report that it is a breath of freash air compared
to the later years of the advertisement-supported version.

The last few years of the commercial Ms. contained a higher
and higher ratio of fluff to content, becoming yet another
woman's magazine with an occasional feminist slant.
If that bothered you, you'll like the new Ms.  (The "No Comment"
section of the first issue contains some of the trade magazine ads
run by Ms. to try and attract advertisers: you've got to see
them to believe them.)

The new version is hefty (~100 pages), and the first issue has quite
a who's who list of contributors (Toni Morrison, Alice Walker,
Gloria Steinem, Bella Abzug, Robin Morgan, Adrienne Rich, to name a few).
The magazine has much stronger international coverage than it did.

I don't believe Ms. is available on newstands.  If you're interested
in a subscription, the address is:

		Ms Magazine
		P. O. Box 57132
		Boulder, CO   80322-7132

The rate is $40/year for six (large) issues.

(Usual disclaimer: No, I don't work for Ms. and have no monetary interest
in getting them subscribers!)

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug1.152526.6318@cbnews.att.com> kw@mvp03.att.com (Kathleen M Wilber) writes:

[she's seen the new Ms. and likes it a lot]

>I don't believe Ms. is available on newstands.  If you're interested
>in a subscription, the address is:
>
>		Ms Magazine
>		P. O. Box 57132
>		Boulder, CO   80322-7132
>
>The rate is $40/year for six (large) issues.

Well, I saw it on a newsstand yesterday...The Naked Eye, at Haight &
Fillmore in San Francisco, if anybody's interested.  I don't know if
it's *widely* available, though.

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (08/08/90)

In article <12555@asylum.SF.CA.US>, sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) writes:
> Well, I saw it on a newsstand yesterday...The Naked Eye, at Haight &
> Fillmore in San Francisco, if anybody's interested.  I don't know if
> it's *widely* available, though.

I bought my copy at a BookStop in Austin, which is about as
mainstream a bookstore as they come.  The article by Steinem
on the trials and tribulations of the old Ms in the world of
advertising was fascinating.

Russell

carlton@mitre.org (David B. Carlton) (08/08/90)

In article <12555@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) writes:
   In article <1990Aug1.152526.6318@cbnews.att.com> kw@mvp03.att.com (Kathleen M Wilber) writes:

   [she's seen the new Ms. and likes it a lot]

   >I don't believe Ms. is available on newstands.  If you're interested
   >in a subscription, the address is:
   >
   >		Ms Magazine
   >		P. O. Box 57132
   >		Boulder, CO   80322-7132
   >
   >The rate is $40/year for six (large) issues.

   Well, I saw it on a newsstand yesterday...The Naked Eye, at Haight &
   Fillmore in San Francisco, if anybody's interested.  I don't know if
   it's *widely* available, though.

According to the Globe yesterday (8/7), it should be available at
Waldenbooks and B. Dalton's for $4.50.  (If you can stand the
places...)  Which raises another question: $4.50 * 6 = $27.  The
normal subscription price is $40, and (according to the same article)
it is possible to get a subscription for $30 as some sort of
introductory offer.  What gives?

david carlton
carlton@linus.mitre.org

rodvan@microsoft.UUCP (Rod VAN MECHELEN) (08/17/90)

The premier issue was widely available in Seattle.  Unfortunately,
the jocks handling the ordering figured no one would want to read
it and most outlets stocked few copies.  ARG!!!!!  They were sold
out the first day!!!

(Yes, I missed getting it, but one of the managers here is going
to lend me her copy.  Yea!)

oo
\/
Rod