[soc.feminism] How to lie with statistics in one easy lesson

travis@houston.cs.columbia.EDU (Travis Lee Winfrey) writes:
>[...] For instance, you might take
>a dim view of arguments that linked patriarchal structures to child
>abuse, without knowing that over 90% of the incest cases reported to
>the police and mental health professionals are in fact cases of
>father-daughter incest, and most of them occur in stereotypically
>patriarchal families.  This datum does not indict that type of family
>per se, but it is very disturbing, and it lends some weight in attacks
>on inflexible patriarchal structures and gender roles.

What a nearly perfect example of a statistic taken completely out of
context to make a point it does not in fact support at all!

First, consider "incest"; a less biased statistic would be "statutory
rape", but "incest" pretty thoroughly narrows the focus away from the
many other possible sources of children participating in unwilling sex
to just the household adults or near adults.

Second, consider "reported"; vaginal intercourse leaves much more
compelling, easily noticed evidence than either anal or oral
penetration, so this activity will be more "noticed", and thus more
often reported about daughters.

[Actually, anal penetration would leave just as compelling, easily noticed
evidence   - MHN]

Third, consider "reported" again; societal values for a girl's first
intercourse include such terminology as "deflowered", "violated",
"devalued", and "spoiled", while a boy's first intercourse is more
likely to be tagged "gaining experience", "sowing wild oats", or
"marriage training".  There is no compelling social call to report a
boy's first sexual experience to the authorities, while we still try
to protect our "weak, delicate girls" by doing so.

Fourth, consider "patriarchal", the "traditional" family structure,
a likely source of objection to incest on religious and other
traditional grounds, as opposed to the "untraditional" family, which
might well consider a little incest OK if it's kept in the family?

Fifth, consider "patriarchial" again, the social structure where the
lineage of children is assured by control of access of sperm to the
mother-to-be's womb.  In this "females as property" value system,
reportage of property damage could be expected to be high, while the
experienced male child (absent other abuse) is not necessarily
"damaged property" in the view leading to the decision to make a
report to the authorities.

Sixth, if the topic is incest, I'm betting on grown siblings and cousins
as the most frequent _participants_, infrequently if ever _reported_.

Statistics are wonderful things, you can use them to prove whatever
you want...to yourself.  The wider audience is urged to take them
with salt.  Lots of salt.  That 90% figure proves nothing about
patriarchal families except that they report father-daughter incest
a lot, a self-fulfilling prophesy.

In responding, please answer what I wrote, not what your particular
social agenda would like to have had me write.

Kent, the man from xanth.

AR.KSR@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (Kimberly Rollins) (08/17/90)

travis@houston.cs.columbia.EDU (Travis Lee Winfrey) writes:
>[...] For instance, you might take
>a dim view of arguments that linked patriarchal structures to child
>abuse, without knowing that over 90% of the incest cases reported
>to the police and mental health professionals are in fact cases of
>father-daughter incest, and most of them occur in stereotypically
>patriarchal families.  This datum does not indict that type of family
>per se, but it is very disturbing, and it lends some weight in attacks
>on inflexible patriarchal structures and gender roles.

Kent Paul Dolan replies:

|consider "reported"; vaginal intercourse leaves much more
|compelling, easily noticed evidence than either anal or oral
|penetration, so this activity will be more "noticed", and thus more
|often reported about daughters.

|[Actually, anal penetration would leave just as compelling, easily
|noticed evidence   - MHN]

True--also, the statistic says "reported" and not "proven".

|"marriage training".  There is no compelling social call to report
|boy's first sexual experience to the authorities, while we still
|try to protect our "weak, delicate girls" by doing so.

I never heard the term "marriage training" used to describe
father/son or mother/son incest, but maybe in your part of
the world it's a common expression.  If the statistics include
reportings to mental health professionals I would assume that
this figure represents a great deal of confessions by
survivors, rather than solely protective reporting by parents
and other concerned figures in girls' or women's lives.

|Fourth, consider "patriarchal", the "traditional" family structure,
|a likely source of objection to incest on religious and other
|traditional grounds, as opposed to the "untraditional" family, which
|might well consider a little incest OK if it's kept in the family?

On the contrary: most traditional or religious families do *not*
encourage the reporting of (possibly emotionally damaging) incest
because they regard sex as something both private and dirty.
Enlightened families would see victimizing incest as solely the
fault of the perpetrator, and be more likely to report it to the
police.  If a young woman is made to feel guilty about sex, and
is moreover taught to honor her mother and father, would she be
more or less likely to report that her father occasionally
rapes her?

|experienced male child (absent other abuse) is not necessarily
|"damaged property" in the view leading to the decision to make a
|report to the authorities.

If the (male) child feels damaged it will likely come out in
counseling later in life, in which case I think it would be
included in the statistic above.  Since men are taught not to
feel victimized by sexual activity, but rather that it is
something that should be striven for, I would allow that male
victimization is currently underreported; however, I don't
think that makes up for the incredible statistical gap that we
see between male-on-female sexual abuse and female-on-male
sexual abuse.

|Sixth, if the topic is incest, I'm betting on grown siblings and
|cousins as the most frequent _participants_, infrequently if ever
|_reported_.

I would submit that as far as incest *where one participant is
victimized by the other* (nonconsensual incest) there is a
greater incidence among those whose relationship implies a
power differential:  older siblings with younger, fathers with
daughters, uncles with nieces, and the like.  For children,
a few years can provide a tremendous difference in physical
and emotional development.  Consensual incest would not be
reported to police or mental health professionals because there
is no victim.   One doesn't go to the police and say, "I just gave
my friend some money," but one would go in the case of a mugging.

|Statistics are wonderful things, you can use them to prove whatever
|you want...to yourself.  The wider audience is urged to take them
|with salt.  Lots of salt.  That 90% figure proves nothing about
|patriarchal families except that they report father-daughter incest
|a lot, a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Again, I don't think that a family where a girl is taught, "Be
ashamed of your body, don't talk about sex, obey your parents and
God" is an environment that supports telling strangers (police
and counselors) about sexual victimization within the family.

Kimberly Rollins
(Preferred e-mail address: cirocco@max.u.washington.edu)

travis@houston.cs.columbia.edu (Travis Lee Winfrey) (08/20/90)

   travis@houston.cs.columbia.EDU (Travis Lee Winfrey) writes:
   > ... over 90% of the incest cases reported to
   >the police and mental health professionals are in fact cases of
   >father-daughter incest, and most of them occur in stereotypically
   >patriarchal families.

   What a nearly perfect example of a statistic taken completely out of
   context to make a point it does not in fact support at all!

I'm pleased I came up with a perfect example of something.  You seem
angry, but I'm not sure about what.  Your article confused me more than
anything else.  The point I sought to support was that some writers may
present confusing conclusions from apparently unknown bases.  Since you
were quite annoyed and confused by my presenting a single datum, I would
say that we exhibited the effect rather well.

   First, consider "incest"; a less biased statistic would be "statutory
   rape", but "incest" pretty thoroughly narrows the focus away from the
   many other possible sources of children participating in unwilling sex
   to just the household adults or near adults.

But I was not talking about statutory rape, my brief reference was to
father-daughter incest and nothing else.  Perhaps you're incorrectly
assuming that I deduced "incest" out of some statistic on statutory
rape?  Besides, statistics on statutory rape are far from unbiased,
since those laws are so frequently used to target male homosexuals.

   Second, consider "reported"; vaginal intercourse leaves much more
   compelling, easily noticed evidence than either anal or oral
   penetration, so this activity will be more "noticed", and thus more
   often reported about daughters.

Actually, "reported" in this context means "reported", as in "announced,
described, talked about," either to police or to mental health
professionals.  In fact, the more intimate an sexually abusive
relationship is, the less likely it is to be reported immediately.  Any
discussion of physical evidence of abuse is beyond the scope of this
(and your) article.

   Third, consider "reported" again; societal values for a girl's first
   intercourse include such terminology as "deflowered", "violated",
   "devalued", and "spoiled", while a boy's first intercourse is more
   likely to be tagged "gaining experience", "sowing wild oats", or
   "marriage training".  There is no compelling social call to report a
   boy's first sexual experience to the authorities, while we still try
   to protect our "weak, delicate girls" by doing so.

Yes, I would agree with this description of the double standard.
There's also the use of stud vs. slut.  However, its relevance to my
article seems slight, since you're talking about consensual sex between
teenagers of either sex, not the molestation of children.  Also, you
seem to believe that incest appears as a one-time incident, a "first
sexual experience", when this type of abuse typically takes place
repeatedly, over years.

   Fourth, consider "patriarchal", the "traditional" family structure,
   a likely source of objection to incest on religious and other
   traditional grounds, as opposed to the "untraditional" family, which
   might well consider a little incest OK if it's kept in the family?

Again, this is beyond the scope of this article (i.e., what I'm willing
to type in before I blow out of here), but "patriarchal" in this sense
referred to the so-called traditional family structure, where the father
makes the rules, mother is devoted to him and the children, and so on.
It doesn't matter if that family doesn't actually exist, if the
pressures on the people make them act in a certain way.  In the context
of child molestation, a common explanation is that the father obtains a
desired feeling of power and control by exercising it over a malleable
subject, his children.  The abuse is aa response to feeling out of
control and out of power, something his gender role tells him is unacceptable.

Inevitably, I'm distorting this argument by presenting in such a brief
form.  I'm also not discussing other attempted explanations at why
some adults damage their children so terribly.  Please bear that in
mind while replying.

   Fifth, consider "patriarchial" again, the social structure where the
   lineage of children is assured by control of access of sperm to the
   mother-to-be's womb.  In this "females as property" value system,
   reportage of property damage could be expected to be high, while the
   experienced male child (absent other abuse) is not necessarily
   "damaged property" in the view leading to the decision to make a
   report to the authorities.

I think you're trying to say that under patriarchy, abuse of male children
is less commonly reported than abuse of female children.  That may well be.
It is certainly true when dealing with adult males who have been raped.

   Sixth, if the topic is incest, I'm betting on grown siblings and cousins
   as the most frequent _participants_, infrequently if ever _reported_.

Quite possibly, but that has nothing to do with the type of crime that
I -- oh so briefly! -- mentioned.  "Father-daughter incest" in that
context referred to the sexual abuse of minors.  If Warren Beatty
wants to marry Shirley McClaine, that may be weird and stupid, but
that's not the type of crime I meant.

   Statistics are wonderful things, you can use them to prove whatever
   you want...to yourself.  The wider audience is urged to take them
   with salt.  Lots of salt.  That 90% figure proves nothing about
   patriarchal families except that they report father-daughter incest
   a lot, a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Skepticism is good, and I'm glad you have lots of it.  However, you
wrote a 70 line article discussing that single figure, when you had no
idea of its validity, the studies I had in mind, or even of the terms of
these studies.  Also, I used that single figure _explicitly_ without
attempting to draw any firm conclusion.  Surely you exhibit skepticism
without useful bounds.

It would have been better for you to write to me and ask me what I meant.
I suggest you find Judith Herman's "Father-Daughter Incest" (Harvard
Univ. Pr., 1981).  I haven't read it, myself; I was reading a brief
article by her in another book, where she quoted a figure of 94%
father-daughter incest out of all cases of incest reported to police,
mental health professionals, and one other group I can't recall.  She
cited three recent studies for that figure.  I'll be glad to send these
references to anyone who asks.

davids@mondo.engin.umich.edu (David Snearline) (08/21/90)

[Further discussion about what this or that religion believes should
probably go to talk.religion.misc -- AMBAR]

Kimberly Rollins writes:

| On the contrary: most traditional or religious families do *not*
| encourage the reporting of (possibly emotionally damaging) incest
| because they regard sex as something both private and dirty.
| Enlightened families would see victimizing incest as solely the
| fault of the perpetrator, and be more likely to report it to the
| police.  If a young woman is made to feel guilty about sex, and
| is moreover taught to honor her mother and father, would she be
| more or less likely to report that her father occasionally
| rapes her?

I think the distinction should be made between a family that is nominally
religious and one that _really_ attempts to live out their religious values.
Both Judaism and Christianity condemn incest and believe that sex is a
God-given blessing (to be practiced within the bounds of marriage, of course.)
My guess is that incest (and covering it up) is more likely to occur in a
semi- to non-religious family where they are less likely to believe in the
true nature of sex as stated in Judeo-Christian beliefs.
--
David Snearline				Computer Aided Engineering Network
davids@mondo.engin.umich.edu		University of Michigan Engineering

rodvan@microsoft.UUCP (Rod VAN MECHELEN) (08/28/90)

In article <9008161903.AA06058@uunet.uu.net>, AR.KSR@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (Kimberly Rollins) writes:
> travis@houston.cs.columbia.EDU (Travis Lee Winfrey) writes:
> |"marriage training".  There is no compelling social call to report

> I never heard the term "marriage training" used to describe
> father/son or mother/son incest, but maybe in your part of
> the world it's a common expression.  If the statistics include

Such terms are used in "men's" literature.  ("Literature"?  Uh-huh, like
romance novels are literature.)  <-:

> If the (male) child feels damaged it will likely come out in
> counseling later in life, in which case I think it would be
> included in the statistic above.  Since men are taught not to

You may have  viewed the recent broadcast by Channel 11 (Tacoma)
entitled SURVIVORS, which looked at this very closely, and concluded
there ARE many unreported cases where the male child did suffer
severe psychological and/or physiological injury.

travis@houston.cs.columbia.edu (Travis Lee Winfrey) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug21.161820.3398@caen.engin.umich.edu> davids@mondo.engin.umich.edu (David Snearline) writes:

>   Kimberly Rollins writes:
>   | On the contrary: most traditional or religious families do *not*
>   | encourage the reporting of (possibly emotionally damaging) incest
>   | because they regard sex as something both private and dirty.
>   | Enlightened families would see victimizing incest as solely the
>   | fault of the perpetrator, and be more likely to report it to the
>   | police.  If a young woman is made to feel guilty about sex, and
>   | is moreover taught to honor her mother and father, would she be
>   | more or less likely to report that her father occasionally
>   | rapes her?
>
>   I think the distinction should be made between a family that is
>   nominally religious and one that _really_ attempts to live out
>   their religious values.  Both Judaism and Christianity condemn
>   incest and believe that sex is a God-given blessing (to be
>   practiced within the bounds of marriage, of course.)  My guess is
>   that incest (and covering it up) is more likely to occur in a
>   semi- to non-religious family where they are less likely to
>   believe in the true nature of sex as stated in Judeo-Christian
>   beliefs.

Well, since no one else jumped up to answer this...

Your assertion is trivially true: many (most? all?) anthropologists
believe that bans on incest are at the foundation of _all_ human
cultures and religious beliefs.  (I know Levi-Strauss held this view; I
don't know if he originated it.)  The Judeo-Christian-Islamic beliefs
are not distinguishable in this regard from any other religion, either
in its precepts or in the actions of its followers.  I am charmed by the
implicit idea that all we would have to do to stop child molestation is
to convert to Judaism or Christianity.  However, child molesters may be
found among the followers of all beliefs, including their religious
leaders, so it seems fair to conclude that something else other than
lack of piety is behind these crimes.  In fact, there was a UPI story in
the last few weeks -- unrelated to the parallel investigation of Father
Ritter -- that described how Roman Catholic church leaders had
repeatedly squashed investigations into charges of sexual harassment and
molestation from priests.

However, it is interesting that you guess that incest is more likely to
occur in non-religious families: the book I was reading (on therapy for
various types of traumas) cautioned investigators that it is much more
difficult to believe in a reported case of incest (among other things)
when the investigator and the family member(s) are of the same race,
gender, and class.  It is always easier to suspect the Other.  Although
they didn't caution against it, religion is clearly a similar factor.

I won't attempt to debate you on the "true nature of sex," nor would the
moderators allow it.  However, your assertion that you know what it is
should greatly interest this group because any claim on absolute
knowledge like yours _necessarily_ leads to intolerance of new forms of
knowledge and to challenges to authority, both of which are found in
feminism.  In this case, I think Kimberly has a better handle on the
social pressures than you: treating sexuality as something private and
dirty inevitably leads to problems.  Of course, I don't know how many
religious families actually have such an attitude.