[soc.feminism] Girl == woman & man == boy ?

loren@tristan.llnl.gov (Loren Petrich) (09/17/90)

In article <27089@usc.edu> gazit%cs.duke.edu@usc.edu (Hillel) writes:

>	[on grown women being called / calling themselves "girls"...]

>If the language is so un-important, as you said, then why do you care
>so much about it?  Why not to call human females over 18 women (or
>womyn or wimmin or whatever they will want in the Nineties)
>and be done with this silly subject?
>
>Why to debate so much a subject that has so little importance,
>in *your* opinion?

	I think I know what the problem is. "Girl" and "boy" suggest a
familiarity or a close relationship with the person being spoken
about, because they were originally words for children, with which one
often has an intimate relationship. The reason some women don't like
being called "girls" is because that presupposes an intimacy that does
not exist in their minds. Other women don't complain about being
called "girls" in appropriate contexts. I am male, and I would not
complain about being called a "boy" in some appropriate context. I
would not, however, indiscriminately call women "girls". I would call
a grown woman a "girl" only in a situation where I would call a grown
man a "boy".

	Any comments from anyone? When would net.women think it OK to
be called "girls"? When would net.men think it OK to be called "boys"?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Loren Petrich, the Master Blaster: loren@sunlight.llnl.gov

Since this nodename is not widely known, you may have to try:

loren%sunlight.llnl.gov@star.stanford.edu

pedersen@cartan.berkeley.edu (Sharon L. Pedersen) (09/18/90)

In article <90255.141840ROPERK@QUCDN.BITNET> ROPERK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA
(Kim Roper) writes:
>       The "belittling" thing about the word "girl" is that it
>        implies a lack of maturity (in just about any sense of
>        the word).

And makes communication hard, whether or not you think it's
belittling.  In Europe this past year it seemed as if most men I met
had been taught that "girl" is the universal term in English for
"female human", regardless of age.  Once I was trying to find out the
name of a mathematician I'd seen at seminars:

"Do you know this woman, she has long hair in a braid?" I asked some
graduate students I met.

"No, I don't really know any of the girls in that seminar" replied one
of them.

Leaving me wondering if he'd be able to recognize who I was describing
anyway:  a faculty member about 35 years old.  To me, "girl" brings up
a picture of a child;  "woman", of a grown-up.

Granted, this is an example using non-native speakers; however,
similar gaps of understanding have occurred with Americans:

I once tried to ask some musicians why there were not highly trained
girls' choirs, on a par with the famous boys' choirs, e.g. Westminster
Abbey Boys' Choir, etc.  "Well, grown-up's voices have a different
quality from that of children's voices" was the somewhat bizarre
reply.  So I explained that no, I meant girl _children_.  But I still
couldn't get my question answered, because, no sooner did I ask the
question again "are girls' voices different from boys'?" than the
musicians were back to thinking that  "girl" == "woman", and comparing
female adults to male children.

(Maybe some of this was innate resistance to having to admit that
no-one knew if girls also could sing like angels, because no-one had
bothered to listen to or train them?)

--Sharon Pedersen
  pedersen@cartan.berkeley.edu   OR   ucbvax!cartan!pedersen

sulak@ge-dab.ge.COM (John Sulak) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.012351.27167@agate.berkeley.edu>, pedersen@cartan.berkeley.edu (Sharon L. Pedersen) writes:
> And makes communication hard, whether or not you think it's
> belittling.  In Europe this past year it seemed as if most men I met
> had been taught that "girl" is the universal term in English for
> "female human", regardless of age.  Once I was trying to find out the

I try to be tolerant and understanding when speaking with people who
speak English as a second language. I have struggled to communicate in
French speaking and Spanish speaking countries.

I learned German in the 1970's and my knowledge of 'modern' German is
limited. When I learned it, however, I was taught that "Frau" meant
"wife" and "Maedchen" meant "girl". It was either/or.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^ "How do I explain to clients that society believes buying a rock (of      ^
^ cocaine) is three or four times as bad as raping a woman?"                ^
^                 Robert Jakovitch, Broward [FL] Assistant Public Defender  ^
^                                   [from AP story 12 July 1990]            ^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Standard Disclaimer: These may not be my opinions, my employer's opinions,
a devil's advocate's opinions, or anyone else's opinions. Are they opinions?

chrisj@netcom.UUCP (09/19/90)

In article <5779@ge-dab.GE.COM> sulak@ge-dab.ge.COM (John Sulak) writes:

>I try to be tolerant and understanding when speaking with people who
>speak English as a second language. I have struggled to communicate in
>French speaking and Spanish speaking countries.

Amen to that, especially if they are making the effort to speak *my*
language when I am in their country, and might reasonably be expected
to go the extra distance and speak theirs.

>I learned German in the 1970's and my knowledge of 'modern' German is
>limited. When I learned it, however, I was taught that "Frau" meant
>"wife" and "Maedchen" meant "girl". It was either/or.

John's German teacher gets a failing mark for that.  `Frau' carries
either of the English meanings `woman' or `wife', depending on
context.  Similarly, `Mann' means either `man' or `husband', again
depending on context.  In Goethe's *Faust*, Mephistopheles greets a
women with ``Ihr Mann ist tot, und laesst sich gruessen'', freely
translated ``Your husband is dead, and sends his greetings.''  <grin>

John is exactly right about Maedchen, which BTW is a diminutive made
from the root noun Magd (maid).  The other standard word for `girl'
in German is Fraeulein, which is also a diminutive (of Frau).  Just
to confuse things, I'll mention that the formal address to a married
woman is Frau Schmidt, and to an unmarried woman or to a girl is
Fraeulein Schmidt, so that one cannot formally greet an unmarried woman
without calling her ``little woman'' or ``girl''!  Not having kept up
with developments in the German language since I graduated in 1969, I
cannot say whether the Germans have developed a greeting analogous to
Ms, but I believe they have not.

We could go from here to a consideration of the fact that the polite
greeting for to a woman unknown to the speaker is Frauelein (as Senorita,
also a diminutive I believe, is in Spanish, etc.) and from there to the
fact, often enough noted here or in soc.women, that our culture tends
to value immaturity and devalue maturity in women, but not in men.  But
this article is quite long enough as it is.
--
Chris   (Christopher T. Jewell)   chrisj@netcom.uucp   apple!netcom!chrisj

vicki@mathcs.emory.EDU (Vicki Powers) (09/21/90)

In article <13386@netcom.UUCP>, chrisj@netcom.UUCP writes:

> John is exactly right about Maedchen, which BTW is a diminutive made
> from the root noun Magd (maid).  The other standard word for `girl'
> in German is Fraeulein, which is also a diminutive (of Frau).  Just
> to confuse things, I'll mention that the formal address to a married
> woman is Frau Schmidt, and to an unmarried woman or to a girl is
> Fraeulein Schmidt, so that one cannot formally greet an unmarried woman
> without calling her ``little woman'' or ``girl''!  Not having kept up
> with developments in the German language since I graduated in 1969, I
> cannot say whether the Germans have developed a greeting analogous to
> Ms, but I believe they have not.

Actually, they have in a way developed an equivalent of Ms.:  nowadays,
all women are Frau, regardless of marital status.  Fraulein is really
the equivalent of "girl", used for those of the female sex who are
age 12 or less (approximately).  Note:  I am not a native German speaker,
but have lived in Germany and have taken German lessons from native
German speakers.

  Vicki

--
Vicki  Powers       |  vicki@mathcs.emory.edu       	    PREFERRED
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!vicki      UUCP

hmj2@deimos.caltech.EDU (Helen Johnston) (09/21/90)

In article <13386@netcom.UUCP>, chrisj@netcom.UUCP writes...

>Just
>to confuse things, I'll mention that the formal address to a married
>woman is Frau Schmidt, and to an unmarried woman or to a girl is
>Fraeulein Schmidt, so that one cannot formally greet an unmarried woman
>without calling her ``little woman'' or ``girl''!  Not having kept up
>with developments in the German language since I graduated in 1969, I
>cannot say whether the Germans have developed a greeting analogous to
>Ms, but I believe they have not.

I can't speak for German here (though I had a conversation with a
German speaking friend some weeks ago on this topic, and I _think_ I
remember her saying it was the same), but certainly in French, where I
was taught at school that 'Madame' was the address for a married
woman, and 'Mademoiselle' for an unmarried woman, actual usage does
not do this.  Although this is still the definition given in the
'Robert' dictionary, an older woman is always addressed as 'Madame',
regardless of marital status.  If you address your 40 year old maiden
aunt as 'mademoiselle', you'll either be slapped or accused of trying
to flatter her!

[This is exactly what me and my sister (then 23 and 19, respectively)
encountered.  We were each unfailingly addressed as "madame" which
always made me smile as I was taught the same as above.  It seemed
that if you were female and had hit puberty, you were addressed as
"madame" (my sister looked about 14).  In any case, this is getting
slightly off topic, so keep that in mind if you want to follow up on
this article.  --CLT]