[net.lan] Ethernet compatability

jcp@brl-sem.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (08/29/85)

	I am putting together an Ethernet inside a small company using
solely DEC computers (MicroVax II, 11/750, etc.)  Have decided to use
the DEC LAT terminal servers to connect all of the terminals to the
various computers (sort of a distributed PACX).  One problem though is
that I have heard bad things about the 'FANG' type ethernet taps
that DEC sells (H4000 transceivers), regarding reliability, etc.  I
would like to use the 3com transceiver boxes (which are hardwired in).

	Having heard some horror stories about compatability between
components, does anyone have and of the DEUNA/DECNA/DEQNA Ethernet
controllers operating thru 3com transcievers out there?

						-JCP-
--

If guns are outlawed, how will we shoot the liberals...

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (09/10/85)

In article <391@brl-sem.ARPA> jcp@brl-sem.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) writes:
>	Having heard some horror stories about compatability between
>components, does anyone have and of the DEUNA/DECNA/DEQNA Ethernet
>controllers operating thru 3com transcievers out there?

The DEC devices are Ethernet 2 (compatible with IEEE 802.3), while the
3Com transcievers are Ethernet 1.  They're compatible on the ether
side, but not on the device side (i.e., you can mix 3Com's and others
on the same Ethernet, but you can't match a 3Com transciever to
a DEUNA).

On the other hand, I've never had any real problems with stinger-tap
transcievers, except when a customer tried to connect one to a cheapernet,
and since they didn't have any yellow thick cable, they just cut the
thin cable and soldered it to the transciever!  What a disaster!
(The worst of it was that they wouldn't believe me when I told them
that that was the problem.)

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

jaap@mcvax.UUCP (Jaap Akkerhuis) (09/17/85)

In article <458@mtxinu.UUCP> ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) writes:

 > The DEC devices are Ethernet 2 (compatible with IEEE 802.3), while the
 > 3Com transcievers are Ethernet 1.  They're compatible on the ether
 > side, but not on the device side (i.e., you can mix 3Com's and others
 > on the same Ethernet, but you can't match a 3Com transciever to
 > a DEUNA).

Yes, the only difference between the Ethernet 1 & 2 are in the connection
between the transceiver and the (host)controller. On the coax cable the two
versions are supposed to be compatible.

However, I noticed that the SUN-2/50 Ethernet controller (Ethernet 1, using a
3Com transceiver) seems to be broken.
Looks like it will not properly talk to a DEUNA (using a H-4000 transceiver).
The symptoms are that it will not do rcp, rlogin etc. properly, the
connections are terribly slow (if they don't time out), echoing by rlogin
takes an unreasonable amount of seconds.

If anybody else has seen this problem and has (maybe) a fix for it, send me
mail. I'll summarise to this group.

	Jaap Akkerhuis.
	{seismo,decvax}!mcvax!jaap

radzy@calma.uucp (Tim Radzykewycz) (09/19/85)

>In article <458@mtxinu.UUCP> ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) writes:
> > The DEC devices are Ethernet 2 (compatible with IEEE 802.3), while the
> > 3Com transcievers are Ethernet 1.  They're compatible on the ether
> > side, but not on the device side (i.e., you can mix 3Com's and others
> > on the same Ethernet, but you can't match a 3Com transciever to
> > a DEUNA).
>Yes, the only difference between the Ethernet 1 & 2 are in the connection
>between the transceiver and the (host)controller. On the coax cable the two
>versions are supposed to be compatible.

Yes.  Here at Calma, we are running ethernet on various machines
with both ethernet 1 and 2 on a bunch of different machines, and
have never had problems with the difference (except when switching
transceivers and forgetting jumpers).

>However, I noticed that the SUN-2/50 Ethernet controller (Ethernet 1, using a
>3Com transceiver) seems to be broken.

We have SUN-2/120s and SUN-3s, some running ether-1 (TCL and
3-COM transceivers) and some running ether-2 (delni), and
have had no problems with either of them except when I forget
to change the jumper on the SUN ethernet controller that
changes between the two.

One interesting thing I discovered when I installed the DELNI:  The
ethernet-2 delni is connected to the net with an ethernet-1 TCL
transceiver.  We haven't had any problems with that combination, which
really surprised me, when I thought about it.
--
Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz
	calma!radzy@ucbvax.ARPA

pag@hao.UUCP (Peter Gross) (09/24/85)

> One interesting thing I discovered when I installed the DELNI:  The
> ethernet-2 delni is connected to the net with an ethernet-1 TCL
> transceiver.  We haven't had any problems with that combination, which
> really surprised me, when I thought about it.
> --
> Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz
> 	calma!radzy@ucbvax.ARPA
> 	ucbvax!calma!radzy

We have done the same here on more than one DELNI without problems.
Well almost the same -- the DELNI is connected with an Interlan ethernet-1
transceiver.
--
--peter gross
UUCP:	{hplabs,seismo}!hao!pag