[soc.feminism] Hey, it happens, ya know?

stricher@masig3.ocean.fsu.EDU (Char Aznabul) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct18.160743.2925@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
wp6@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Walter Pohl) writes:
> >But are you going to tell me I cannot be a feminist
> >unless I have your views on defence policy?  Are you willing to say
> >that?
> >
> >-Randy
>
>         Feminism is a broad collection of opinions.  In your feminism,
> there is no connection between nuclear weapons and feminism.  But, in
> certain other "brands" of feminism, it is thought that nuclear weapons
> are a function of patriarchy, and in a non-patriarchal society, nuclear
> weapons wouldn't exist.  Both your view and this other view are feminist.
> There is no One True Path of Feminism, no single agenda that characterizes
> all feminists.

No, but feminism has so many members that there are very narrow (or
even closed) minded members. They also tend to be the most visible,
and if you don't agree with every nit-picky little detail like they
do, you ain't no feminist.

Char

"Vox populi, vox humbug" - William T. Sherman