[soc.feminism] Anti-porno laws.

gazit@cs.duke.EDU (Hillel Gazit) (10/24/90)

In article <kaveh.656432661@s.ms.uky.edu> (Kaveh Baharestan) writes:

>I don't know which laws you are talking about. Could you please clearify
>or tell me where to find the written laws? -thanks.

I find it interesting that you give strong claims about Porno && Dworkin,
but you have not bothered yourself to read the key laws she helped to write.

I quote here part of the anti-porno ordinance of Minneapolis.
This ordinance was vetoed by the mayor.  A similar ordinance (written by
MacKinnon) was passed in Indianapolis, but was nuked by the Court.

#(gg) Pornography.  Pornography is a form of discrimination on the
#basis of sex.
#
#(1) Pornography is the sexually explicit subordination of women,
#graphically depicted, whether in pictures or in words, that also
#includes one or more of the following:
#
#(i) women are presented as dehumanized sexual objects, things,
#or commodities; or
#
#(ii) women are presented as sexual objects who enjoy pain or
#humiliation; or
#
#(iii) women are presented as sexual objects who experience
#sexual pleasure in being raped; or
#
#(iv) women are presented as sexual objects tied up or cut up
#or mutilated or bruised or physically hurt; or
#
#(v) women are presented in postures of sexual submission; or
#
#(vi) women's body parts - including but not limited to vaginas,
#breasts, and buttocks - are exhibited, such that women are reduced
#to those parts; or
#
#(vii) women are presented as whores by nature; or
#
#(viii) women are presented being penetrated by objects or animals; or
#
#(ix) women are presented in scenarios of degradation, injury,
#abasement, torture, shown as filthy or inferior, bleeding, bruised,
#or hurt in context that makes these conditions sexual.
#
#(2)The use of men, children or transsexual in the place of women... in
#pornography for the purposes of... this statute.

*I* see this law as feminist CowShit.  The most bizarre notion is the
idea that all-men gay porno is a form of discrimination on the basis
of sex...

>>No, but I know people who are excited by *playing* a game like this.
>>The porno you described is a *play* between adults and not a real
>>rape.  I hope that you can see the difference.

>Most people don't.

Most people have never asked for your help.

*I* certainly don't want you to decide about that for me.

Hillel                                               gazit@cs.duke.edu

"Those who do not remember history are doomed to sound silly." --Carole Ashmore