[soc.feminism] Leadership

gazit@cs.duke.edu (Hillel Gazit) (10/26/90)

#And how many abortion right laws did you pass, at state level,
#in the last 15 years?

In article <18761@oolong.la.locus.com> (Judy Leedom Tyrer) writes:
>None were necessary in the past 15 years.  Now the right of abortion
>will be discussed at the state level where, I believe, it belongs.

In *my* opinion:
1) The right of women to choose abortion is an *important* issue.

2) Letting this right to stay, for 15 years, on one Supreme Court decision
   while anti-choice (or pro-state rights, if you like...) judges are
   appointed to the courts was a piece of stupidity.

   It was easier to pass pro-choice laws (in *state* level) 15 years ago;
   starting to fight only when the public opinion is more conservative,
   and the Court is less supportive, is an example of bad leadership.

The fact that that's the kind of leadership that the feminist movement has,
causes me to suspect that feminists are not going to be such great leaders.